Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webcam Light Flashing Irregularly (I Don't Use the Webcam)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jenbleepingjackie

jenbleepingjackie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:10 PM

Hi, I'm Jen. This is my first time posting in these forums. I'm here because I've tried everything I could think of doing safely, but the problem persists. I have a Lenovo Yoga 710-14 (Windows 10) that I've only had since around March. The webcam was literally only used once in the first week when my friend was goofing around with my new computer. Since then, I have not so much as opened the app and the lens has been covered by sticky notes, but the indicator light next to it has started flashing in irregular intervals. I'd say anywhere from 10 seconds to a few minutes. It has probably been a couple weeks since the first episode, but it has started again and persists as I type this. It never stays on for more than a second. It flashes even with the Wi-Fi off. When I first noticed it, I diligently ran an AVG scan. Returned no threats. Then, yes, I tried turning the laptop off and on, which includes updating. Still flashing. I did some research, ended up installing Malwarebytes, and ran that scan. This time, Malwarebytes came up with a few threats. Removed those, and tada! No more flashing. Or so I thought... This time both AVG and Malwarebytes came up clean, so I installed SUPERAntiSpyware. In the 20 or so minutes it took for that scan to complete, I did a little more research which led to me turning off the privilege for apps to use my camera hardware and updating the EasyCamera driver. The flashing seemed to take a break. The new scan returned 1 potential threat and removed it. I thought I was free, but alas, I am not.

Now I'm here. The goddamn flashing will not stop. The driver is up to date, nothing should have camera privileges, and 3 different programs claim that my laptop is clean. What is going on? Someone please explain. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

G'day Jen, and Welcome to BC

Go to the Driver tab, and click Disable. Confirm it if asked to do so. This should turn off the webcam, as well as the light. If you want to enable it in the future, reverse the procedure

Edit :more complete instructions HERE

Edited by Condobloke, 17 November 2017 - 11:25 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 jenbleepingjackie

jenbleepingjackie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:31 PM

Condobloke, I could do that, but wouldn't that just be putting a band-aid on it? How can I be sure there isn't a bigger issue, like someone hacking me who would have access to more than just my webcam? 

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:47 PM

Those instructions are meant to completely disable the 'cam

If it turns back on again.....then further investigation is certainly warranted.  :)

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users