Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

feel lost

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

wow....

Win7 was so familiar to me coming from XP and Win whatever before that and Win95 before that (i never did 2000 or Vista) but now i have 10 on a new laptop.  ive had it for a week and other than unpinning some of the nonsense stuff from the start menu, and partitioning my hard drive to OS and Programs and Storage, ive not done anything with it...

i havent tried to go online yet (in part because my router password is an incomprehensible group of letters and numbers) but theres no I.E.  and i just got a new new version of Firefox but my daughter says Firefox is so passe and everyone now uses Chrome.  is this true?

anyone got any words of encouragement for this old dog, facing a lot of new tricks?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:43 PM

Windows 10 does include Internet Explorer (as well as Edge). And it's just an Operating System - it's easy enough to get along with. But if you prefer the way Windows 7 looked and felt (as many of us do), just download and install Classic Shell (http://www.classicshell.net/)

Edited by Allan, 17 November 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:57 PM

Yes, IE is still there and if you wish to still use it all you have to do is type 'Internet Explorer' into the search box and it will pop up in the answers, I believe as the first ranked. Right click on it and choose 'Pin to taskbar' and there you have it - back at your fingertips !  If you have not yet reduced the powers of Cortana, and you may not want to, then the search box is I think called 'Cortana' but it too is on your taskbar.

Don't listen to your daughter !  Firefox is still there, it still works and it is still my default browser. Chrome is widely used because Google push it at every opportunity and have it as an add-on optional install on a lot of downloaded software. I use it myself from time to time but not as my default because I cannot get it to run the way I want my browser to run. But it is useful to have around as a check occasionally.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:12 PM

Firefox is still a great browser. They just did major updates to it. I second the motion to get the classic shell program. My windows 10 looks like windows 98!

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

I love Windows 10 as "it was intended to look" and still use Firefox as well as Chrome.   Even though IE11 is still available on Windows 10 since it is no longer being actively supported you know that eventually it's going to go the same way that earlier versions of IE have and that certain websites will eventually forbid access for IE11 just like they do now for, say, IE8.

I didn't find the transition from Windows 7 to Windows 10 all that difficult, as Windows 10 brought back a lot of features from Windows 7 and earlier, while integrating the good from Windows 8.  The shift between Windows 7 and Windows 8 was far, far more different than the shift between Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:42 PM

Hi, I can understand a teenager calling firefox "passe", probably never used it, after all safari and it's twice removed sibling chrome dominate the market, combined, close to 70 % worldwide, firefox is around 6%. BTW since this is an englsh centric site you should be aware of UC browser, owned by Alibaba and now rising with a bullet in 2/3 rd's of the computer market, Asia, inc India and China.

As mentioned Firefox is still a good browser so if that's what you are familiar with stay with it.

I agree with Brian when it comes to Ten my advice is not to be overawed by the shock of the new and spend some time to familiarize yourself with its GUI interface. You may just grow to like it.

If this is too much you could do what many do and install Classic shell, as mentioned, you will need to open the program's settings, for access to the many tweakable elements of classic shell. 

You can bring back some of the better functionality of  the ten gui, such as right click on the start button and access the "power menu" (win + x).

#7 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:32 PM

Hi, I can understand a teenager calling firefox "passe", probably never used it, ..

actually, she was using Firefox back when Chrome was still in beta (or just after it was brought out for full consumption...

now... ive got the new computer running on Firefox (the latest and greatest iteration) but of course Microsoft is saying that Edge runs faster and uses less battery power resulting in longer run times.  ive not been online or playing with the computer that much so far but im already down to 53% with 2 hours left...

is the claim that Edge runs faster and smoother and with less power use a true statement or just a sales pitch?  my goal with the new computer was to last as long as possible without AC power because i foresee some "on the road" processing.  hence my reasoning for going with a SSD vs a regular HD...

on another note, is there somewhere i can find "my computer" that shows the disc drives like in Win7 with the icons?  so i can check the properties of all of the drives?  i like to keep and eye on the drives in an effort to maintain the machine.  that and im kind of a "stats" guy so i like to see how much space i can recover when i clear out old unneeded files...

#8 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:08 PM

Right click on "nothing" on the desktop.

Choose "personalize" from the dropdown.

Select "themes" from the left column.

Scroll down a bit, and select "Desktop icon setting" from related settings section.

Check the boxes that you want for desktop icons, like "computer" and "user files".

Did you try classic shell?

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#9 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

Hi, I can understand a teenager calling firefox "passe", probably never used it, ..

actually, she was using Firefox back when Chrome was still in beta (or just after it was brought out for full consumption...

now... ive got the new computer running on Firefox (the latest and greatest iteration) but of course Microsoft is saying that Edge runs faster and uses less battery power resulting in longer run times.  ive not been online or playing with the computer that much so far but im already down to 53% with 2 hours left...

is the claim that Edge runs faster and smoother and with less power use a true statement or just a sales pitch?  my goal with the new computer was to last as long as possible without AC power because i foresee some "on the road" processing.  hence my reasoning for going with a SSD vs a regular HD...

on another note, is there somewhere i can find "my computer" that shows the disc drives like in Win7 with the icons?  so i can check the properties of all of the drives?  i like to keep and eye on the drives in an effort to maintain the machine.  that and im kind of a "stats" guy so i like to see how much space i can recover when i clear out old unneeded files...

Edge does use less energy to run.  It is not a sales pitch, and in your taskbar you should see File Explorer.  You can check properties of drives there.  You can also click the gear icon on the start menu which opens settings.  Click on System, then click on Storage, and you will see a beautiful display of how much you have and where.  But please, the new Windows 10 Start Menu is so customizable, and easy to use, you really do NOT want to install a third party Start menu.  I just wouldn't advise it.  But that is my opinion.  I have waited YEARS for MS to create a Start Menu like this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users