Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Western Digital Passport Can't Acces Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lewisisle

Lewisisle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

I was backing up some 900 GB of files the other day from my WD portable drive, and half way though, one image file would not copy due to disk error. I ran Window's CHKDSK and it found the file and fixed it. I decided to continue the next day.

When I resumed, I saw that it became slower and slower to access my files, and when I could copy, it would take ages for a small file. Explorer would get stuck for a while every time I opened a folder. Now, it takes half an hour for the drive to appear in Windows Explorer, and I can see the folders. When I click on one, it will take some 15 minutes to open, and then I can't copy a file as it freezes. 

The light on the drive flashes as normal and the drive appears in device manager and all, so it can't be completely dead.

I've tried lots of file recovery applications but they all freeze. CHKDSK and other attempts to access the drive freeze too.

I've read about some of the problems people have had with WD's which I've had before as well, so I'm familiar with them, but this time, the problem is unusual and I can't find anybody sharing a similar experience.

Would anybody have any idea what's happened?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

I have had a problem where a drive was not detected in Windows but was detected fine in linux. It's possible you could boot a live linux disk and mount the drive to access your files. It's also possible the drive is in the process of failing. 

If the computer you are working on is Windows 8 or Windows 10 you may need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings. If you are on Windows 10 I would also disable fast startup and reboot before booting linux.

Download Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso to a DVD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot the DVD. Do not input anything until you are at the Mint Desktop.

At the Mint Desktop click on the Computer Icon. In the left pane will be your devices. Attach your WD drive. You will see an icon appear. Click on it and hopefully the drive will mount and you will see your files on the WD. You can copy them from the WD to your HDD.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

I am suggesting this vs checking for a hard drive failure as the test on the drive could send it over the edge. The idea is to get your important data, if any, off the WD first then test the drive.

If Mint cannot boot the drive then there is other software but from your post saying recovery software did nothing it may not work.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 November 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#3 Lewisisle

Lewisisle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:10 PM

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. Actually, I've just noticed that most of my things were backed up on another drive anyway, thank God, so this is no drama really, except for a dying portable drive that isn't very old.

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2017 - 05:50 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

You can either run the WD diagnostic tool to check the drive or attempt to recover what files you need using linux. I would give linux a shot first. 

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=940

#5 Lewisisle

Lewisisle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

Just to let you know how I went, I followed your instructions and Linux said it couldn't load the drive, after some 20 minutes of trying. It gave some general info about possible errors. I tried with Ubuntu as well and the result was similar. The WD tool said that the drive failed the SMART test. I tested it again the next day with the WD tool and it didn't detect the drive at all.

Odd thing is, the drive loads into Window after some 5-10 minutes, and all of the files are there. It's behaving a bit better compared to the other day. I can copy files, but it is very slow, though. 5GB will take 16 hours, it tells me, although that fluctuates. That's really the only problem. It's probably dying a slow death, but it seems to be really hanging on.

Edited by hamluis, 24 November 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,627 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

Consider yourself lucky you can pull any data off that drive. After recovering your data you may want to pull the drive and see if there is a proprietary bridge card or the drive can be connected via a USB adapter. Check the copied files. They may or may not open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users