Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual monitor unrecognized after sleep-mode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Woofgang

Woofgang

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:12 PM

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero Z270 LGA1151 (w/Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, 8GB GDDR5X

Monitor 1: (HDMI)

Monitor 2: (VGA, using VGA > DVI adapter)

System worked after it was built. The problem came the next day when it was brought out of sleep mode and the second monitor was “no signal.” GPU driver is up-to-date and the VGA>DVI adapter is not faulty. A different monitor was tested in place with the same problem.

Since then this is remedied by :

1. shutting the computer down completely

2. unplugging monitor 2 from the case then power back on

3. after boot up, plug monitor 2 back in: Windows recognizes it

Another interesting thing is that there seems to be an issue with time. Putting it in sleep mode and then bringing it out shortly after doesn’t cause the monitor to lose signal. This happens when its been in sleep overnight.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

Try power settings in control panel. Maybe turn off "turn off display after" (set to zero).

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

#3 Woofgang

Woofgang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:34 AM

Try power settings in control panel. Maybe turn off "turn off display after" (set to zero).

Thank you for the response Frank, we tried this then put into sleep mode and brought it back out and unfortunately monitor 2 would not come back on.

#4 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:46 AM

Is device manager listing monitor 2's make & model, or just a default? I never let anything sleep just for this kind of reason. Maybe try a different 2nd monitor just as a test to see if the same happens. Or switch them.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 18 November 2017 - 12:07 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#5 Woofgang

Woofgang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

Is device manager listing monitor 2's make & model, or just a default? I never let anything sleep just for this kind of reason. Maybe try a different 2nd monitor just as a test to see if the same happens. Or switch them.

Device manage recognizes the model, there was an option to change the monitor driver to analog instead of digital which we tried but the problem persisted. We had already tried another monitor which resulted in the same issue.

From searches I see that this seems to be a common issue, usually drivers on various video cards. For example some people have the problem but then a driver update or windows update fixes it. Other times the monitor always worked fine, but then a driver or windows update caused the problem.

If this is a driver issue not addressed by video card manufacturer, I wonder if I should file a complaint or otherwise make note of the issue in case this needs to be addressed on their end?

I'm afraid to risk flashing the BIOS unless it is an established issue with a particular device. (clearing CMOS didn't work)

#6 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 541 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

You said that it originally worked fine. Maybe find the old driver for the monitor, or the old gforce graphics driver.

If you have time to kill, swap out the hard drive and try a fresh install to see if something different happens.

Do you have room for another graphics card? Just to test.

Does the monitor itself have sleep/powersave settings?

Pesky problem.

Frank O' The Mountain

#7 Woofgang

Woofgang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:42 PM

You said that it originally worked fine. Maybe find the old driver for the monitor, or the old gforce graphics driver.

If you have time to kill, swap out the hard drive and try a fresh install to see if something different happens.

Do you have room for another graphics card? Just to test.

Does the monitor itself have sleep/powersave settings?

Pesky problem.

It originally worked fine because it was not yet put into sleep mode, the problem was first noticed after the first time it was put in sleep (after I left town after building it for friend of course).

Not sure about monitor sleep/powersave settings, though we did try a different monitor.

Looking at the geforce forums, I see that there are similar issues involving dual monitors and they are usually driver based so I may have to wait. Sucks for my friend because he dropped $2500+ on the machine.

By the way, the same monitor was used on his previous system and it worked just fine under dual set-up on Windows 7.

Thanks for the responses.

Edited by Woofgang, 18 November 2017 - 02:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users