Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gmail Error Message

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dphenry157

dphenry157

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

I keep getting the error message as attached.  I still seem to be getting email but also the error message.  I'm showing 52,000 total emails   Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

There is no attachment??
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 dphenry157

dphenry157
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

My bad!  This better?

Attached Files

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

Hi, moved this from Win10 to Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications

So others in the know can see.

Look at this

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/-teXDzUzK_w
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 dphenry157

dphenry157
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

TYVM!

#6 dphenry157

dphenry157
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

Tried all of the suggestions in the link provided, but the issue still persists.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,294 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

How are you trying to download these?  (As in, what e-mail client are you using and what access method (IMAP/POP3)?)

Do you have any issue accessing your Gmail via gmail.com?

When you log in to the Google Gmail web interface, is it actually showing that you have 52K messages?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 dphenry157

dphenry157
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

POP3

No issues

Yes, 52K

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,294 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:45 PM

Your issue most likely lies in the fact that you are trying to use POP3 access on a collection of messages far in excess of what most clients will download at one time and most servers will allow to be downloaded at one time.

Go in to your Gmail settings via the web interface and make sure that IMAP access is enabled.  Then try using IMAP rather than POP3.   IMAP will only download the message headers for all but the most recent messages and can get the message bodies if/when you ever access those messages again.

You should also seriously consider cleaning up your inbox.  52K messages are more than any one person is going to access effectively.  Even if you go through via the web interface an archive those that you don't want to actually delete, but would very seldom ever refer to, that will cut down on what gets downloaded, too, while the messages are still there for web-based access.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 dphenry157

dphenry157
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:54 PM

IMAP has been enabled, even before I had the error message problem

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,294 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

Then try using IMAP access.   I can almost guarantee you that using POP3 access on an archive this huge is at the root of your problem.

Since IMAP will not download message bodies, except on demand, for other than recent messages the demand on the IMAP server, and your e-mail client, are greatly reduced in terms of throughput.

POP3 has been in the process of effectively being deprecated for some years now, as its default behaviors make accessing the same e-mail messages across multiple devices a nightmare.  IMAP cures that, as well as, for all practical intents and purposes, keeping your messages backed up on the e-mail provider's server.  They're likely to have far more stringent backup practices than most home users ever do, even if they're good about backing up.   IMAP also has the added advantage of there being nothing to do but set up your existing account on a new computer when you get one and, voila!, everything's there for you to access as needed.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users