Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft confirms Windows Update KB4048957 breaks Epson Dot Matrix Printers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

KB4048957 in The Patch Tuesday updates from Microsoft is causing some problems:

Microsoft confirmed this bug: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4048957/windows-7-update-kb4048957

"After installing this update, some Epson SIDM and Dot Matrix printers cannot print on x86 and x64-based systems. Microsoft and Epson have determined the cause of the issue and are working on a solution. This problem is not related to the printer driver, so installing current or older print drivers will not resolve the issue.

Microsoft will provide an update in an upcoming release."

Same applies to:

======

See also:

Edited by hamluis, 22 November 2017 - 07:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to W10 Spt - Hamluis.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:41 PM

A suggestion: if you go to ms's support pagre for the update you'll see that there is also listed a security only update for this month. You can't download the security only update automatically through windows update but you can download it manually as a file from ms's update catalog website then open it to instal the update. As far as I know the security only version doesn't have the bug.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:17 PM

Then the bug is in Microsoft's Security and Quality update. Quality update being an Oxymoron. This shows the whole problem of throwing all updates into one download package. You need to take the whole package of updates or leave it. I always wait a few days before installing and I only install the Security Only updates through the Microsoft Update Catalog. God knows what Microsoft is throwing into those quality updates. Probably all those Windows 7 telemetry updates.  I have been doing Security Only updates for a year through the update catalog and the computer is still rock stable so I don't have any idea what Microsoft means by Quality.Doing Security Only updates and regular disk images works for me.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:55 PM

JohnC_21, post #3, exactly, I've been doing quite the same. And when you look at the size of the files (latest security only was about 23Mb for me, if I'd gone for security and "quality" that would be about 293Mb I think) there's clearly lots of un-necessary stuff masquerading as quality.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

From my understanding the Security and Quality updates, at least for Windows 7, includes all post SP1 non-security updates including any new ones for the month.

Non-Security updates include changes to the Lithuania currency and Russian Ruble which I passed on when offered. Also all Windows 7 non-security telemetry updates.

#6 Spline64

Spline64

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:13 PM

Has anyone uninstalled the update but the printer will still not print?  Had to set up a laptop to act as a "print server" so our shipping department can print our packing lists. 

System Restore was not turned on so that was my only option. 

Also I can't find any timelines as to when Microsoft plans to come out with a fix. Doesn't seem to be a big issue to them.

Thanks,

Spline64

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:21 PM

Microsoft issued a fix today.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4055038/november-21-2017-kb4055038

#8 Spline64

Spline64

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:48 PM

Thanks but didn't see anything for Windows 10?

Our systems were upgraded from Win 7 but the Win 7 update is not compatible. 

Thanks,

Spline64

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:11 PM

As far as Windows 10 that will probably be coming via an automatic update.

This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update.

Forcing a manual update on Windows 10 may give you the fix.

#10 neco423

neco423

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:32 PM

ohh thanks man, I had that problem the last week :/ all the users  were crazy and I didnt know why :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users