Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HTTPS issue (caused by Firefox addon update?)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Osprey95

Osprey95

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

I've had a strange issue that may have been caused by upgrading to Noscript 5.1.6. I closed my Firefox earlier today and shortly afterwards re-opened it, with the notification that Noscript had updated. However I found that many other websites had become inaccessible. Paypal.com brought up a screen with a message like "found, return to gb/home", www.bbc.co.uk gave a "301 moved permanently" message, and many other websites only opened as blank pages. Closing and re-opening the browser several times did not fix the problem. My first suspicion was that Noscript's update had caused an issue, so I disabled it, which fixed the issue immediately. After re-enabling it there was still no problem.

In retrospect the URLs I was using were missing the "HTTPS" prefix that is automatically added (my link to "www.bbc.co.uk" ordinarily sends me to "https://www.bbc.co.uk/", "paypal.com" to "https://www.paypal.com/gb/home", etc), which makes me wonder if there was an issue with redirects.

Oddly, one website that loaded fine when all others I tried failed - https://www.redlettermedia.com/ - now returns a "Secure Connection Failed" message - "SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length." Notably, this also happens when I try and access it on my phone, outside of my home network.

I've run a scan with MBAM for good measure, which turned up nothing. The problem appears to be fixed apart from that one website; can anyone shed some light as to what may have happened and whether I need to be concerned? Is it possible that an issue with the redlettermedia.com website may have affected my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

Have you updated to Firefox 57? According to the NoScript website it is still not compatible with 57.

NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - what is it? - InformAction

QUOTE:

Where's NoScript for Firefox 57 "Quantum"?

2017-11-14: We're working hard to make NoScript for Quantum available to you as soon as possible, definitely by the end of this week.

Please be patient: if you feel naked while you're waiting for the "brand new" NoScript, you can still use the "regular" NoScript 5.x (and all the other extensions of yours) on Firefox 52 ESR, which will receive security updates until June 2018. See you soon!

EDIT: Redlettermedia is not a secure site. I just went to it with no problem using Firefox 56 and NoScript enabled. I'm not

updating to 57 until NoScript is compatible. I did look at the scripting being blocked and didn't see anything malicious on

the redlettermedia.com home page.

My NoScript was updated 10 days ago to 5.1.5....you may be allowing their not ready for prime time beta releases.

Edited by buddy215, 17 November 2017 - 09:16 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users