Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Proliant DL180 G6 - Hard Drive size issue - Smart Array P410i RAID controller

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scottbouch

scottbouch

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:02 AM

Hi all, my first post here as I'm a bit desperate for help.

I'm new to the HP Proliant server. I'm also new to RAID controllers and arrays:  I've just bought this machine and 3x 3TB WD Red HDD's for it intended to build a RAID 5 array. It's for home use for CCTV and PLEX media server, Mumble Server, etc.. it will be running CentOS when I've got it working.

-> Basically my wife will kill me if I've bought all this stuff and can't make it work!

It has a PCI card based Smart Array P410i RAID controller, with physical capacity for 12x 3.5" drives.

I've been through the ROM based configuration utility to build a RAID 5 array with these three drives in bays 4,5,6, but the utility only recognises them as 801.6GB, not the full 3TB - see attached image (you'll see I also have some smaller drives installed in bays 1,2,3 - the sizes of which appear ok).

Is this likely to be a card firmware issue? or a ROM configuration utility version issue? do I need to update it / them? if so - how?? (Complete newbie in this realm of server hardware configuration!)

The ROM based configuration utility is ORCA Version 8.30.02.00

I've had a stab at using the alternative HP Offline ACU utility with a USB stick. I downloaded the ISO from here: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_3c888073127c4c65b7bd8559eb&swEnvOid=4004 .  ....firstly tried making a bootable USB stick with it which didn't work, then read online about mounting it as a drive and using the USB stick utility within, which I tried, but I can't get the utility to see my USB stick to build it... grrr.... 

Any ideas are welcome, the simpler the better!

I have access to Windows 7 and / or Linux Manjaro computers to download and build USB sticks.

Thanks, Scott.

Attached Files

Edited by scottbouch, 17 November 2017 - 06:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:48 AM

Hi,

Try to upgrade the Smart Array P410i firmware

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=3884342&swItemId=MTX_563e132dd7c542b5a050c391de&swEnvOid=4184#

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 scottbouch

scottbouch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the link!

I found the Linux version after some painful searching! 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_2fe5ac5b7d9d489088825f3a4e&swEnvOid=4166#tab1

will give it a shot!

Edited by scottbouch, 17 November 2017 - 10:28 AM.

#4 scottbouch

scottbouch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

Hi, after a week working away, I finally get an evening to have a go at this....

I have just installed CentOS 7 with KDE desktop. Tried installing the Linux .rpm from my last post, and Application Installer says:

Sorry, this did not work - the file is not supported.

ARGHHH!

I need a way to update the P410i Raid Controller firmware to work with 3TB drives..

I'll try re-downloading the .rpm in case of any corruption and trying again.

Any other ideas?

#5 scottbouch

scottbouch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:29 PM

All sorted, answer is here: 

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=65159&p=274045#p274045

Cheers, Scott

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:43 AM

Hi Scott,

Thanks for sharing the solution. :thumbup2:

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users