Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with my upgrade path. (help a new guy please!)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gereczm542

gereczm542

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:43 PM

OK hi guys first time posting on THIS forum but it's always a pleasure to join a new good community so i thank you all in advance for any help or advice that will be provided!

OK so im currently running a foxconn H61MD mo bo - heres a link (if this forum allows im sorry im in a super rush for this info because i am seeing some great deals on the components i need) https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16... 

also running an i3 3250 @ 3.5Ghz dual core with four threads
and a gtx 750ti with 2Gb of gddr5 vram
currently running six gigs of RAM but will soon be upgrading to 12 or 10 depinding on if this upgrade path works i may even get 16 

I would like to upgrade to to an i7 2600k @3.4GHz with four cores and eight threads (i hear it overclocks great even on air)
also i would like to get a GTX 1050ti with 4Gb gddr5 Vram and dual fans

From the research i've done i believe the processor will work no problem because they are both sandy bridge LGA1155. Unless i'm missing something here?
and i don't see any problem with the graphics card besides that its a DirectX12 card and im running Windows 8.1 which i do not believe supports DX12 so will this work on my current OS? Will i be fine running DX11 on this card? Also, if i do upgrade my OS to 10 down the line will i still be able to play my DX11 games once i install DirectX12?

So main thing i have a problem with is im not sure if the i7 2600k will work because i found the compatibility list for CPUs for my mobo  (here is the list http://www.foxconnsupport.com/cpusupportlist.aspx?type=mb&socket=Socket%201155&model=H61MD&cputype=Intel ) The list clearly shows that the 2600k is not compatabile but the only reason im having hope that it might work is because the compatability list does not even include my current processor! If anyone could give me some insight as to why my current CPU (listed above) is not on the list but has been working great since day one about 3 years ago. 

That's pretty much all the concerns i have, but if i am missing something please point it out to me and don't let me waste my money!! lol

Thanks in Advance
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:51 AM

There are no 95W CPU's (or any over 65W) listed on Foxconn's list so i-2600K probably isn't compatible. Also with that motherboard you cannot overclock anyway.

Also I cannot see 1050Ti fast enough against 750Ti.

But because CPU upgrade is pretty much out of question, you should re-think what to do.

#3 gereczm542

gereczm542
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Ok great to know that i cannot overclock on this board. And do you not think that the double amount of Vram will help with my performance alone with the extra gpu power a 1050 would bring? Im trying to get the most gaming life out of this system for 2-300 before i have to upgrade pretty much everything ya know. So if i go with that list how about getting the i7 3770s and upgrading the ram. Would that help my cause? Is the newer GPU really not worth it? i could always put it into my next build?

Plz and thanks for the help everyone!

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:34 PM

There's no question that a 1050 Ti is a faster GPU than a 750 Ti.  But it's not a huge improvement (from benchmarks, on average you're looking at about a 35-40% increase in speed).  A GTX 1060 3 Gb on the other hand, is more like 150% faster vs the 750 Ti.   According to PCPartpicker.com the cheapest GTX1050 Ti currently comes in at $155, the GTX1060 3 Gb starts at $189 and the GTX1060 6 Gb starts at $259.  

The Foxconn Support site is unconnectable for me at the moment.  But considering used Socket 1155 i7's are generally not cheap, even now having been out of production for over 4 years, I'm not sure it's a good investment.  Arguably you might be able to sell it on for a reasonable price, if you don't hold onto it too long.

If I was looking to a bigger upgrade in the not too distant future, I think I'd be tempted to get a GTX1060 and forget the rest, and transfer it across to my new PC when I built it. The motherboard only has two DIMM slots, so you will have to remove existing memory to upgrade it.  Also RAM prices are ridiculous at present. 

DirectX 11 (and for that matter 10,9...) games work fine on Windows 10.  Very old (XP and earlier) era games can sometimes be problematic to run, but no more so than on Windows 8.1 x64.

Edited by jonuk76, 17 November 2017 - 02:39 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:17 PM

i7-3770S might be good idea but only if you get it very cheaply.

Video card prices are so high now that buying expensive card "will put it into next system" does not make much sense.

#6 gereczm542

gereczm542
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:40 PM

Thank you all for the replys. I want to be able to game a little bit better and i think my cpu is hindering the performance due to its dual core. Some games just will not run on dual core so do u guys feel i will be able to play a majority of games if i upgrade to the i7 3770s? it can be had from around 120-150 used and i can pick up a single fan 1050 for around 160 new but if i go for a 1060 it will be over 200. and i know ram is so expensive rn and idk why but to save money on buying ram i was going to keep my 4 gig stick in one of my dim slots and buy one 8 gig stick and swap it out with my 2 gig stick. Then I will be running 12 gigs which seems like more than enough. I can prolly swing a 1060 and the i7 3770s but i was wondering can i run that processor on a stock intel cooler or should i buy a cooler master heat sink for like 50? Maybe for turbo mode? I don't plan on doing a full pc replacement for a few more years so i would like to get the most life out if it as possible. But does the 3 gigs on the 1060 make a difference from having 4 gigs on the 1050 ti? Ohh and ill buy used ram and cpu i just dont like to buy video cards used.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:46 PM

i7-3770s for 120 bucks sounds way too expensive for long time EOL part. DDR3 is also replaced by DDR4. So I recommend building totally new system (and selling current one if needed) because investing so much money into old tech is not very wise. If for example your motherboard broke, finding replacement is not easy task.

#8 gereczm542

gereczm542
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

Also i would really like to stick with a card that doesn't need a six pin connector for extra power because i'm not sure if my setup has an extra 6 pin and my power supply is not module..unless there's adapters or something? i know i have an extra 4 pin. I haven't opened my case in awhile so obviously before i get a card i either have to make sure i have a six pin or that it is just powered by the slot.

EDIT - To the poster above..i don't have enough to buy a new system i would need pretty much new everything and i dont have the funds for that right now. im looking to drop less than 350-400 on everything to get this thing running best it could. and there's plenty of used sandy bridge mobos for sale if anything breaks on the board. im aware also that ddr4 is the new thing for ram but if i were to put the 400 im willing to spend on a new computer it wont be as good as my current pc with the upgrades. Also could you suggest a cheaper processor from the list of compatible ones to see if something else would make a better match?

Edited by gereczm542, 17 November 2017 - 03:57 PM.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:14 AM

It's better to use external PCI Express power than using card slot power if motherboard is weak quality. Anyway it's good to know what exactly is PSU.

I still say that putting $400 into old tech is not really that wise. I agree that beefing old systems is generally very good thing but if that is too expensive, then it makes no sense. For example this i7-3770S. You are going to pay around $140 for 5 year old CPU. Too bad, you get faster CPU with latest technology for same price https://pcpartpicker.com/product/72wqqs/amd-ryzen-5-1400-32ghz-quad-core-processor-yd1400bbaebox

So changing CPU makes no sense. And putting slower CPU into current motherboard is not real upgrade.

So I still recommend you sell current system and if you don't have enough money for new system, save until you have and buy new system then. Or keep current video card etc with new system.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 18 November 2017 - 01:15 AM.

#10 gereczm542

gereczm542
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:53 AM

I opened her up last night and realized my psu is only 430w it is a Thermaltake TR430 at 12V 2.3 . So due to all recent info I decided to only buy parts that would be transferrable to my new rig that i will be building in the future so that pretty much puts a cpu out of the question..i just don't have the money for a mobo and cpu and and PSU and probably a new case if im going for a complete new build. Plus if i'm going to build a new one i'm going to have to get something that supports ddr4 ram because it will soon be standard esp in gaming and i certainly don't have enough money to buy all that expensive RAM. I basically have a 400 budget so that's not enough to get a new system really going but maybe i can get some parts that will help my cause while prepping for the future? 

EDIT - Just wondering. Is it safe to assume that because my current working processor is not on the list and it is 55w and all the listed ones that are decent is 65w is it safe to assume that i could pick most sandy bridge cpus that operate at 65 or less and pick up a cheap upgrade like an i5 2500s?

DOUBLE EDIT - if i cant go with a 2500s i will just pick an i5 off the list and be done with this computer for fifty bucks and one stick of cheap desktop ram and im good to put all my money towards the next build

Edited by gereczm542, 18 November 2017 - 07:57 AM.

#11 gereczm542

gereczm542
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:13 AM

UPDATE!!

I just found a website that apprently lists the compatability of processors for the mobo i have heres the link ( http://www.game-debate.com/motherboard/index.php?mot_id=3291&cpuList=Foxconn%20H61MD-V

is this site trustworthy? It shows a few more processors that are not on the current list and it may be able to open my options a lot more for a cheap well performing (for its time) i5. 

Also i have found a person on a different forum posting about the cpu with their motherboard (which happens to be the same mobo as mine) and he was using an i5 3570 but not the S model just the i5-3570 and it worked for him. Whereas only the S model is listed on the foxconn list but on the new list i found it is there and working so im really confused. I will never buy a foxconn mobo again. link (Im not sure on how the admins feel about posting a link to another tech forum so i will only post it at request and ONLY if it is allowed.) Its friday i finally have time to finish the rules i like to be respectful in forums.

Thanks everyone hope everyone is starting out with a great saturday

EDIT - also... finding more conflicting information. As i said in this post the user spoke of above has been using the i5-3750 which is on the third party site compatibility list as usable which would be a great processor to get for 60. But to be safe i was going to go with the foxconn list and get the i5 3340. But i have realized that these cpus are 77W and it even says on the foxconn support that the 3340 is usable but it does run at 77w while the board instructions say not to use a CPU over 65W. Im getting so frustrated ive switched processors (in my head) about 5x

Edited by gereczm542, 18 November 2017 - 09:10 AM.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

DOUBLE EDIT - if i cant go with a 2500s i will just pick an i5 off the list and be done with this computer for fifty bucks and one stick of cheap desktop ram and im good to put all my money towards the next build

This is what I mean. Since you are buying EOL parts, you should buy cheap. That sounds good plan.

For CPU compatibility. Many times compatibility lists are missing many CPU's that work but for some reason (laziness...) they are missing from list. So i5-2500 or similar is quite good for 50 bucks or so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users