Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Drivers Over Existing Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yardcat

yardcat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 11:40 PM

Can drivers usually be installed 'on top of' existing drivers?

When reading the excellent Tutorial on Driver Installations at bleepingcomputer, I noticed it did not seem to say that uninstalling drivers usually needed to be done before updating them. However, I read the following quote today that that seemed to contradict my understanding.

"Before installing any new drivers, make sure to go to 'Add or Remove Programs' under the Control Panel and uninstall any previous drivers for your device, then reboot Windows, and install the new version." :thumbsup: (Quoted from: The Tweaking XP Guide at (must download) http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html).

Now, I must be missing something, because it also seems that most drivers are not listed in Add/Remove Programs either!

I would like to update most of my drivers, so I just wanted to get a 'feeling' for what was the general rule (of course I will TRY to see what specific update sites say).

Thanks everyone - yardcat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jrenter2

Jrenter2

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:17 AM

Hi Yardcat,

For myself, unless the update specifically says that I need to uninstall the previous driver, I just allow the update to install over it.

I have never had any problems with doing it this way.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup:

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:56 AM

Generally you do not need to uninstall the drivers before installing a newer version. The uninstalling them first is a precaution (and is also one of the first steps in troubleshooting driver problems).

A well-behaved driver can install over itself without any issues. But, the driver might not be well behaved, or the update may not address a problem that you're experiencing.

The most problematic of these (in my experience) was the older nVidia drivers. Even with an uninstall and a fresh install the problems would still exist. This was due to left over settings that weren't removed when you removed the drivers - and it spawned a whole series of 3rd part nVidia driver removal tools. It appears that nVidia has solved this problem and the 3rd party tools aren't needed as much - but they're still retained "just in case".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users