Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Second hand pc with ssd, is Windows 10 install format command enough to be safe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OVERPOPULATION

OVERPOPULATION

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:44 PM

I got a second hand windows 10 m5 tablet with a 128gb ssd and i have no idea who may have used it before. Windows 10 pro 64bit was installed but i think it would be safer to wipe everything and as i have a licence reinstall everything from scratch.

However i ask myself if you consider that simply using the Windows 10 install menu and choose Format Disk will be enough to feel safe about the Ssd being wiped so no previuos data that may contain malware is left behind before starting the installation.

Is that good to go, or may i do anything more.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

You do not need a license for Windows 10 Pro. If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 10 Pro the key is in firmware. If Windows 10 was a upgrade from a previous OS then the license is on Microsoft Servers. You only need to create the bootable media using the Media Creation Tool, either DVD or USB flash drive. Creating the iso file and using Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive is the preferable method.

You can zero the drive during the install by pressing shift + F10 when you see the Window showing what language to select. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

clean all

convert gpt

exit 

exit

The above commands will zero wipe (clean all) the drive and initialize the disk as GPT (convert gpt). Continue the install. When you get to the screen showing the SSD it will show as unallocated. Click next to continue. Windows will automatically partition and format the disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users