Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Canít access shared folder on secondary HDD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dEaF TO LiGhT

dEaF TO LiGhT

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:10 PM

So for some odd reason, I always get an error message when another computer tries to access my shared folder on my secondary HDD (D: drive). (You do not have permission to access (share). Contact your network administrator to request access. The permissions are set properly. It is set to share with everyone. I tried creating a new folder from scratch on the D drive and setting sharing, and it still didn’t work. I created a folder in the same way on the C drive and it works fine. I checked the advanced security settings, and they are all the exact same. Only difference is TrustedInstaller owns the c: drive and i am the owner of the D:\ Drive. I had an issue before with the secondary HDD not showing up in the indexing options after removal from a domain. I assumed the permissions got screwed up somehow. That’s when I took ownership of the entire D drive.

Attached are the sharing settings on both the C drive share and the D drive share.
I also attached the entire drives settings just for good measure.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

Sharing actually has two parts when it comes to access, Share rights and Security rights.  You get the most restrictive of the combination.  If no rights are given in either case you have no rights.

Do the accounts have passwords?  I've found that requiring passwords makes dealing with Sharing much easier.

Are the accounts identical, name and password, on both the machine accessing the share and the machine with the share?

Have you check the Security tab of the drives you are sharing?

Normally you don't share the entire drive, only folders on the drive.  For example you would create C:\Share and put everything you want to share in the folder.

You also do not need to use Full control, and normally don't want to.  Full control allows someone accessing the share to share it from their machine, anyone accessing the share from their machine has all of the least of all rights given between the person accessing the share and the share on their machine.

#3 dEaF TO LiGhT

dEaF TO LiGhT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:09 PM

No, I'm not using passwords.    I don't want to use passwords for these drives as I want them to be quickly accessed when someone needs something from another user's computer if possible.  A lot of people here were used to that so I was trying not to add another step that is just gonna have me being called over 100 times a day because no one will remember passwords around here.

Ideally, when this works, I won't use full control... I just want users to be able to read and write to the folder, but not modify anything inside it.  I attached a screenshot of the security tab.

I don't want to share the whole drive... just the folder.  I was just showing the drive's permissions settings as if I share a folder on the C drive it works fine, but any folder I try to share on the D drive does not work.

Also, in the past I had an issue with this secondary HDD not showing up in indexing options awhile back (see https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/94937-secondary-hard-drive-d-not-showing-up-indexing-options-modify.html#post1163004) ... and it had something to do with permissions getting screwed up after a domain join and removal during a short-lived merger.

Edited by dEaF TO LiGhT, 22 November 2017 - 02:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users