Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disc Drive Not Detected

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 younganimater35

younganimater35

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

So I built my HTPC case earlier this year, using Windows 10 Home 64bit, the case manufacturer suggested a particular brand of optical drive, Matbleepa (Panasonic) BD-MLT UJ256, its a slim, slot loading drive. I'm having an issue getting Windows to actually detect the drive, it appears in the device manager and BIOS, not in the explorer window or by any program. I've attempted editing the registry data with no luck. I've done the enumdevice solution, I've looked for and cant find any Upper/Lower keys, I've uninstalled via device manager, updated chipset drivers, uninstalled the atapi drivers, next to throwing this drive out or reinstalling Windows, I'm out of ideas.

Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:57 PM

Try the suggestions in the below Microsoft thread. 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/windows-10-driver-for-matshita-bd-mlt-uj265-usb/ed5408f9-59d8-41da-8617-dd6a569ce097?auth=1

The last comment describes the fix for the slot loaded player. The only reference I could find for the model number was not a slot loaded player

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Matshita-UJ260-Recorder-Internal/dp/B01J5QYZLE

Edit: I came across a firmware update but this was for a particular Sony computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 November 2017 - 01:58 PM.

#3 younganimater35

younganimater35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:01 PM

hmmm, so it could be a raid issue. i came across that thread, but mine is an internal drive, when i saw usb i didn't read it. I will check my bios config now

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

There was another post regarding enabling hot-plug functionality on the SATA port that solved the problem. That may help if your BIOS settings have than setting and you have yet to try it.

Edit: I completely forgot something. In Device Manager is the drive shown with a yellow exclamation mark? If not open Disk Management. Look to see if the drive has a letter assigned to it. If not assign a letter. If there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the drive right click and select Update Driver. Hopefully it will update the driver and assign the drive a letter.

Edit Edit: Start Windows 10 in Safe Mode. Still not detected? Then try a clean boot. There may be a service conflict or startup item which prevents the drive from being detected. 

These are the only ideas I have. From doing some searching it seems this drive does not play well with Windows 10.

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 November 2017 - 02:36 PM.

#5 younganimater35

younganimater35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

There was another post regarding enabling hot-plug functionality on the SATA port that solved the problem. That may help if your BIOS settings have than setting and you have yet to try it.

Edit: I completely forgot something. In Device Manager is the drive shown with a yellow exclamation mark? If not open Disk Management. Look to see if the drive has a letter assigned to it. If not assign a letter. If there is a yellow exclamation mark next to the drive right click and select Update Driver. Hopefully it will update the driver and assign the drive a letter.

I looked in bios, and wasn't in raid setup (didn't think i was) and i found the hotplug functionality, mine was set to disabled and i couldn't enable it. that sent me searching on how to enable it and i came across a thread that mentioned any drive that is connected via molex, doesn't support hotplugging, well this drive has a "mini sata" connector on the back and the cable i purchased to power it, connects via molex. so now im wondering if the unit is getting underpowered? honestly that doesn't make much sense to me, but hey, who knows? As of now, I'm unable to enable the hotplug in my bios, unless I'm doing it incorrectly, but i cant find a thread on how to enable it, i would assume since its a newer gui bios, i could just click it? I'm going to look into a different cable. I also noticed that i was plugged into the last sata port, which to my knowledge, doesn't make much of a difference, all my ports are sata 6gbs, so having insufficient speeds doesn't sound right.

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170I-GAMING-PRO-AC/Specification here's my board

In device manager, there is no yellow exclamation box, however, it is listed under hidden items. I will look into disk manager as well

Thanks for  your help

#6 younganimater35

younganimater35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:41 PM

I have a gut feeling that the drive could be underpowered, it will power up when i turn on the pc, but then after about 20 secs i dont hear anything and it dissapears, so i found this cable, im going to order and cross my fingers

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812400156&cm_re=slimline_sata_to_sata_pwer-_-12-400-156-_-Product

#7 younganimater35

younganimater35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

the drive does not show up in disk manager, i updated drivers via DM and no luck, i can still hear it power on, and windows will display it in explorer view for just a sec then its gone, it reads the disc in the drive, knows its a blu ray drive and everything, but then poof, its gone

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:01 PM

In the mean time there is something you can try and it wont cost but a DVD or you can boot from a USB flash drive.

Boot a live linux disk like Mint Cinnamon. When Mint boots do not input anything. Wait for it to get to the desktop. Click on the Computer icon. Your devices including the optical drive will show in the left pane. Was the drive ever detected by Windows 10?

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3290

#9 younganimater35

younganimater35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

In the mean time there is something you can try and it wont cost but a DVD or you can boot from a USB flash drive.

Boot a live linux disk like Mint Cinnamon. When Mint boots do not input anything. Wait for it to get to the desktop. Click on the Computer icon. Your devices including the optical drive will show in the left pane. Was the drive ever detected by Windows 10?

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3290

the drive is detected for just a sec at first startup, and in device manager under hidden items, but other than that, no

so im using linux to see if it can be detected right?

Edited by younganimater35, 16 November 2017 - 03:04 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

Yes, see if the disk is detected in linux. You may have to disable SecureBoot if enabled before Mint will boot. Also, it does not have the full code package for playing videos. I would place a data disk in the drive, not audio and open Computer. Double click the drive in the left pane. The file manager should open showing any files on the disk. This would at least point to a Windows problem if you can do this in linux.

#11 younganimater35

younganimater35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

So it is definitely looking like a windows issue, I booted up Mint Cinnamon and sure enough, the disc drive pulled up, recognized the movie, opened up folders within. I guess I will do a clean install of Windows 10. I'll keep you posted, thanks

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

Your Welcome, fingers crossed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users