Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Delete

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aimtrader

aimtrader

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

When I delete a program in windows 10 it seems to work but when I restart the computer the program is still there. Also the same with changes to a spreadsheet, it seems to save the spreadsheet but when I do a restart the changes are not made.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:40 PM

I do hope you get some helpful answers as I have had much the same problem for many months and have not found anyone who has a solution. I have about a dozen programs (which I now refer to as the undead) which will not die, when deleted they return (in the same locations) when my computer is rebooted. Not only do I delete them repeatedly, I have used several 'wiping, smashing, blasting, destroying' apps (ie. multiple passes) over and over again. I have moved them to another external drive which I have then formatted, only for them to arise from the dead on the original drive. :scratchhead: 

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

First question, is this your computer, or is it from something else like school or work?

There are "solutions" out there that will return a machine to a preset state, normally used in schools where kids have a knack for finding new and interesting ways to break things.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  

Duplicate post

Edited by Kilroy, 16 November 2017 - 01:41 PM.

#5 aimtrader

aimtrader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:45 PM

My computer, not work or school.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:05 PM

This really does sound like you have some form of system protection software on your computers. My local library, which has about a dozen public facing computers, uses this sort of system and makes no bones about it - if you want to save work on - for example - a spreadsheet you save it to your own memory stick or similar. One of the staff explained to me that the reason was, as Kilroy pointed out, some users are more than capable of messing up a computer, either accidentally or deliberately. All the staff have to do to restore the computer is re-boot it, doing a hard shutdown if necessary. Have a look at this web-site for an example of the type of software involved -

http://horizondatasys.com/reboot-restore-rx-freeware/

Of course you might have a problem removing software of this type, a clean re-install might well be required !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:07 PM

It sounds to me like the OP is not trying to delete actual "programs" but is instead trying to delete Windows 10 apps. For Example Twitter, Candy Crush, Minecraft and several other apps are baked into the OS and can not be simply deleted unless one performs a registry edit.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

Please post what programs you are trying to delete and how you are trying to delete these programs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 aimtrader

aimtrader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions up to now. I was able to get my computer working.  I think the problem was stagnos software which was clued in by Chris Cosgrove suggestion.

Thank you again.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions up to now. I was able to get my computer working.  I think the problem was stagnos software which was clued in by Chris Cosgrove suggestion.

Thank you again.

I Googled "stagnos software" and I did not get any results. What is it?

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&source=hp&ei=KzUPWpjTM6qH0gLT7KmoDQ&q=stagnos+software&oq=stagnos+software&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i13k1j0i13i30k1l2j0i13i5i30k1j0i8i13i30k1l5j0i13i30k1.2308.2308.0.3004.3.2.0.0.0.0.98.98.1.2.0....0...1.2.64.psy-ab..1.2.215.6..35i39k1.117.-NRIhm0J8n0

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 17 November 2017 - 02:16 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

I believe they may have meant Steganos which is summed up below.

Since 1996, Steganos has been offering highly secure and easy to use software tools that protect and secure on and offline data. We offer comprehensive solutions for individuals, home offices and small businesses. Our innovations include the world's first commercial steganography application, software that let's you hide data in pictures and sound files. And the world's first commercially available encryption software with AES technology (Advanced Encryption Standard).

Steganos Software - Download.com

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:46 PM

Thanks Dan.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users