Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Windows 10 HD Audio Controller Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BenSF

BenSF

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my audio controller on windows 10.

Some time ago I tried to install a TV Tuner in my computer. After I failed and returned the TV Tuner to the person who borrowed it to me I noticed that my sound wasn't working anymore (i'm not sure if the TV Tuner broke it or not. But that was when I noticed.)

I have some computer knowleadge because I cose my computer pieces myself and I also assembeled it myself. So I immeadiatly checkd inside my PC to make sure that I didn't disconnect something. (My sound card is integrated so thatwas verry unlikely).

After that I checked the device manager and the HD Audio controller was no longer under "Sound, video and game controller". Instead it moved under "System devices". So, naturally, I tried to uninstall, update the drivers, enable and disable it. But nothing worked. What is even strager is that now I have two Audio Controllers in device manager. One sais that it's working (lies) and the other one sais that it couldn't start.

Bellow I will attach some Immages with the two devices that appear.

This is what the device manager shows.

Attached File  Device manager.JPG   105.68KB   1 downloads

And this is what every tab shows for both devices in parallel.

Attached File  General.JPG   58.9KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Drivers.JPG   74.39KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Events.JPG   87.79KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Resources.JPG   53.61KB   0 downloads

Also my motherboard is Asus Z87-A.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it alot.

Thanks, Beniamin Szabo.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

From your images it looks like you have two HDMI controllers, one for intel which is included with the integrated graphics and the other for Nvidia. Do you have a Nvidia GPU with a HDMI port?

I don't see your Realtek HD audio chipset in your Device Manager. Have you tried installing the Realtek driver on your MB's support site?

#3 BenSF

BenSF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

Thank's for your reply John. I do have an Nvidia graphicks card with an HDMI port. You can see my full setup on my profile.

I also downloaded the realtek drivers from asus for my MB and installed it. But they didn't work. So I uninstalled it thinking that windows might fix the problem on it's own. I'll reinstall it when I get home and see if anything changes.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

I don't know if it will help but check if the Windows Audio Service is enabled in services. This may be some kind of Windows 10 hickup. Open Control Panel. Select Large Icons in the dropdown box vs category. Do you see a Realtek HD Audio Manager icon?

I don't know if this is a hardware problem but you could download a live linux distro like Mint Cinnamon. Burn to a DVD and boot. Attach a USB flash drive with a couple of MP3 files and see if you hear audio. If you never have booted Mint do not input anything until you see the desktop. Click the Computer icon. Attach your flash drive or you can click your HDD icon in the left pane if you have audio files on your HDD. Browse to your audio files and double click. If you get nothing on linux then it's possible the Realtek chipset failed.

I would download Mint 17.2 as this has all the available codecs.

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=190

Also if you run Speccy it will give you a detailed list of your hardware showing your Realtek chipset.

#5 BenSF

BenSF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

Windows Audio service is enabled:

Attached File  Services.JPG   15.04KB   0 downloads

I have KUbuntu installed along with Windows. I started KUbuntu and there is no sound in Ubuntu either.

In controll panel there is no Realtek HD Audio Manager:

Attached File  Control Panel.JPG   107.17KB   0 downloads

And finally this is what speccy shows under audio:

Attached File  Speccy.JPG   37.92KB   0 downloads

Is it possible that my integrated sound card broke?

Edited by BenSF, 16 November 2017 - 02:56 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

It sure looks that way. In Kbuntu's terminal type

aplay -l

that is a lower case "L" and not a "1". It will list all playable devices. At least it does on Ubuntu.

Edit: I doubt it will work but give the computer a powercycle. Pull the power, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power and boot. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 November 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#7 BenSF

BenSF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:22 AM

aplay -l only shows the Nvidia devices.

After I did the powercyicle something happened. Normally the sound volume icon in the task bar shows a speaker with a red x on it. After I restarted the computer it showed the speacker with the red x, then for a couple of seconds it showed the normal volume icon. And the then the red x appeared again...

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

Other than trying another powercycle I think you are dealing with a hardware issue of the the Realtek chip.

#9 BenSF

BenSF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:51 AM

Most likely I will have to buy a new sound card. At least I hope a new one will work...

Thanks alot for your time and help.

Edited by BenSF, 20 November 2017 - 12:51 AM.

#10 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

windows,  right click you volume control in the task bar select playback devices and see what is listed as the default playback device,  you just may need to change you default to the nvidia device to make it work.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:43 AM

windows,  right click you volume control in the task bar select playback devices and see what is listed as the default playback device,  you just may need to change you default to the nvidia device to make it work.

Hopefully that would work but the Realtek Audio chipset is not detected by Speccy, Device Manager, or linux's terminal command aplay. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users