Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can OBS record while my monitor is off?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vilatus

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

Hi everyone, first post here. 

I was wondering if I would be able to record my system's screen while my monitor is off? I would like to record a movie from the original disk so I can have it on my PC, just in case. I won't be home while it's recording, so I don't want any family members to see my PC on and start messing with it trying to turn it off/snooping through my files while it's recording though. They aren't all exactly computer literate and I'm afraid they'll mess something up haha

Any advice is appreciated, thanks! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

• 55,037 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

From What I See...whether the monitor is on or off should make no difference.  Monitors provide a visual for users who want to see what the screen output is.  Screen captures have nothing to do with the monitor., IMO...it's the system activity that is being recorded.

The simple way to find out...is to try a short sample with monitor off, IMO.

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#3 TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:15 PM

As @hamluis stated the monitor has no affect on the application. You can record while your screen is of its 100% system activity that's being recorded. 

#4 Platypus

• 13,311 posts
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:03 AM

A poster on the OBS forum agrees:

" if i record a window or a selected region in xsplit my computer can lock, monitors screen saver and then go to sleep and the recording is fine. also i tested in OBS that if i manually lock my computer and turn the monitors off while recording a window it continues to record just fine."

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users