Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jack_1982

Jack_1982

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

Motherboard : ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3  BIOS 2101
Processor : AMD FX ™ - 6300 Six core processor      Speed : 3500MHz
Memory : 8192 MB ddr3
HDD :: Seagate barracuda 7200 RPM (2 nos) and Seagate P series all 500GB
Video Card :: ASUS GeForce 210 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0
Power supply :: iball zps -254

Problems faced now :
The display flickers , kinda lines that appear once in a while .
I assume this could be due to the power supply used .Not sure if the power supply is sufficient for the VGA.

I'm not into much gaming so i would not wanna invest a lot into these products .The major purpose of the desktop is to download torrents , so i keep it turned on most part of the night 9 to 10 Hrs straight.

I don't want to upgrade the Processor , Board or the Storage .

Planning to increase memory to 16GB and add a 4GB Video card .

Options that i was keen on ::
Ram 2 sticks of 

CORSAIR XMS3 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M1A1333C9

Not sure on the VGA part . (any suggestions on RAM or VGA would be great)

Will i have to upgrade the SMPS/Power supply unit, if i would have to please suggest best products.
CORSAIR CX-M Series CX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-Modular Power Supply EVGA 550 B3, 80 Plus BRONZE 550W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-B3-0550-V1

Would i need a cooling unit something such as Cooler Master Hyper 212 Led for the processor . 
Or if there is a better cooling device please suggest.

Edited by Jack_1982, 16 November 2017 - 09:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

PSU: EVGA B3 is OK
CPU Cooler: If you have stock, it's hard to find anything worse. So Coolermaster Hyper 212 is OK and so is almost anything on same price range.
Memory: two sticks of DDR3-1333 should work with existing ones. Memory compatibility is sometimes just luck however.
Video card: For what use? If gaming, I'd go for Radeon RX 550 4GB. Wouldn't blow budget but still offer decent gaming performance.

#3 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:37 PM

If your looking into upgrading, then please do not over look getting an SSD hard drive. You'll be happy

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:25 AM

The display flickers , kinda lines that appear once in a while .I assume this could be due to the power supply used .Not sure if the power supply is sufficient for the VGA.

This appears to be your only complaint, otherwise the computer you have is satisfactory (?). I will assume that for years this monitor has not given you any problems and this is a recent development.

Before you start replacing things, do the following:

> Put a tester on your power supply to check if it is good. If it checks out as good, you know the problem is not the power supply. After all, it has been satisfactory for years, right?

> Check your monitor; connect it to a friend's computer. Use your video cable.

If the problem disappears, the cause may be your video card or corrupted drivers (remove your video card, clean the contacts and reinstall it. If no joy, reinstall updated drivers.

If the problem does not disappear but is still present, then it is either a bad video cable or the monitor is failing.

It would be a shame to replace the power supply, power-up and the problem is still there.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users