Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Right Click issue

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 compbuff

compbuff

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:17 AM

Hi

I had a right click issue back in September which I had managed to resolve back then: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/657300/windows-explorers-erratic-behaviour-windows-81/

I then had a different right click issue to the one I had back in September. A couple of days ago I was doing software updates and also window updates and then shortly afterwards I clicked on a file in explorer that I wanted to open with a different program. When I right clicked to do so the open with option would only stay open for a few seconds and not long enough for me to change it. I then found that when I right clicked to choose any option it would only stay open for a few seconds then close.

I noticed the recent Window Security and package updates were as follows, since WIndows updates can have a habit of causing issues:

Security update for package for KB3083992
Security update for package for KB3170455
Update for Package for KB3041857
Update for Package for KB3137061

I first ran the following security scans:

- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware home (premium) Threat scan

- ESET Online Scanner: Enabled detection of Potentially unwanted applications (Computer scan settings and enabled detection of potentially unsafe applications (Advanced settings)

- Avast Premier: Full antivirus scan

No issues were found.

I ran system file checker which gave me the following message:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

So I then booted into safe mode and opened an elevated command prompt to run sfc again and it found no integrity violations.

I ran sfc in normal mode again and Windows protection again found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

I then opened an elevated command prompt and ran - dism/ online/ cleanup-image /restorehealth, which returned the following:

The restore operation failed. Either the repair source was not found or the component store cannot
be repaired.
Error: 0x000f081f
DISM failed. No operation was performed.

I then also tried Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup which stated it was repairable but on running the restorehealth command again it returned the same 'restore operation failed' message as above. The dism log is here https://app.box.com/s/fuxjv66ztz46oot39t9cpy7rxjrm7mya

I could not understand the errors or find where the source is. If it heps I have attached my cbs log as well: https://app.box.com/s/gkbfmrrk90aelc5pdn3pwbfib7y1k0ru

I assumed I needed to mount an image of win 8 using my Windows 8 CD and point DISM to it? I was not sure if the following was correct to use? That I had to boot into my Windows 8 CD and click repair my PC, troubleshoot, advanced options then command prompt and then the following:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:D:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess  Where "D" is the drive letter where the D is located (as on the Optical drive)

Being unsure of whether the above was correct or not I then ran a scan on malwarebytes Antimalware which found no threats and also ran a scan with ESET online scanner which also found nothing.

Another method of repairing corrupt or missing system files when booting into the WIndows 8 CD, which I had not attempted,  was to undertake the following:

- In the Command Prompt, use the dir command to find the drive letter of your Windows partition.

- Then run the SFC command to repair your Windows installation. It will scan all your system files, identify those that are corrupt or missing and try to fix the problems it find, as follows:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=D:\ /offwindir=D:\windows (where D is the drive letter of your Windows partition for example)

I have also heard of a SFCFix program but decided against using this since it would be at my own discretion even though i have backups, and having no experience of it or anyone else using it I instead decided to do a system restore back to before I did the software and windows updates than attempt this or any other know fixes.

On completing the system restore it solved my right click problem, which is a good thing and I would like to know if there was anything else I should have tried. However, I now cannot open my google chrome browser, which I have posted in the Internet and networking section https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/663045/windows-81-64-bit-chrome-wont-launch/

Kind thanks in advance for any further advice.

Edited by compbuff, 16 November 2017 - 06:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

See if rebuilding the SFC component store resolves this.

Press the windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens select Command Prompt (Admin).

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt to rebuild the sfc component store, then press Enter.

WSReset.exe

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt to regesiter the store app., then press Enter.

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.XML

Restart the computer.

Press the windows key OS4o0pO.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens select Command Prompt (Admin).

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt to rebuild the sfc component store, then press Enter.

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Restart the computer to complete the repair.

Edited by dc3, 16 November 2017 - 11:41 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users