Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Fu**ed up my computer, system restore/recovery not being allowed to run

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pinkachu

Pinkachu

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:58 AM

In short, I made the dumb mistake of running a shady EXE off of a torrent. Lesson learned, there are more pressing matters here. The file ran a bunch of installs and pinged WinDefender a bunch, so I went into damage control and deleted everything that was in the torrent, programs and all. However, after trying to install some cleanup programs (rkill, voodooshield, malwarebytes), win was telling me these apps won't run on my PC. After this I tried to run a system restore, but trying to run it in settings did nothing (loading circle after click, then nothing happened) Trying to boot advanced startup options via software, then via command prompt also yielded nothing. As of now, the computer is booted in safe mode, but these options still will not run(tried opening sysrestore via cmd, but it was taken as an invalid command). In my limited computer knowledge, I think its obvious that the executive rewrote some crucial things deep in the operating system. Is there any way to force the computer to boot into advanced boot options? at this point I'm fine with wiping the drive and starting from scratch, all of my old files are oon HDD and new programs are easy to replace. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate. Thank you in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pinkachu

Pinkachu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:34 AM

UPDATE: after screwing about where I probably shouldn't have and booting it into safe mode active directory repair, the login screen wwas no longer showing up, so I've booted the computer into automatic repair, which is currently ongoing.

#3 Pinkachu

Pinkachu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:49 AM

UPDATE 2: automatic repair didn't let me back into windows, but holding shift+restart let me into advanced boot options, so the PC is currently resetting itself wholesale. Unless aany further problems arise, this issue should be solved. Apologies for taking up forum space, and then ending up finding a solution(hopefully) on my own.

#4 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:13 PM

Time for a new install!  Then stay off the torrent sites.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:09 AM

UPDATE 2: automatic repair didn't let me back into windows, but holding shift+restart let me into advanced boot options, so the PC is currently resetting itself wholesale. Unless aany further problems arise, this issue should be solved. Apologies for taking up forum space, and then ending up finding a solution(hopefully) on my own.

Let us know how this turns out.  If you receive any messages please post the exact message/s you receive in your topic.

I don't believe you are at the point where you need to do a fresh installation of the operating system.  We still have other options.  One option would be to do a Reset which basically reinstalls the operating system, but it will allow you to keep your personal files.  The only down side is that any third party programs you installed will be uninstalled in the Reset process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Pinkachu

Pinkachu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 04:05 AM

Let us know how this turns out.  If you receive any messages please post the exact message/s you receive in your topic.

I don't believe you are at the point where you need to do a fresh installation of the operating system.  We still have other options.  One option would be to do a Reset which basically reinstalls the operating system, but it will allow you to keep your personal files.  The only down side is that any third party programs you installed will be uninstalled in the Reset process.

Thankfully, after automatic repair ran, I was able to do a full recovery and the computer is now working perfectly. Luckily it was all but new so I didn't lose any programs, and all my data was already being moved via HDD, so no loss of data either. I quickly installed malwarebytes to give myself a bit of security. It seems whatever damage was done with what I assume was a rootkit, was undone by the BIOS's automatic repair. I was still in active directory repair safe boot, so the login screen wasn't showing. Had I not made that mistake, I might have gotten away with just automatic repair, but like I said there was no loss of programs or data that 5min didn't fix.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

A rootkits hides malware on your PC. Malware hidden by rootkits often monitor, filter, and steal your data or abuse your computer’s resources.  This is a serious infection which could require reinstalling the operating system to get rid of the infection. 

You need to be sure that you are clean, you can't afford to guess that you are now clean.  Bleeping Computer has highly trained members of the Malware Removal Team who are your best shot of getting your computer clean.  Please do the following.

You need to start a topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.  You will need to do the following prior to starting your topic.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

* If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
   * In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done this, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so this topic can be closed by a Moderator.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Malware Response Team Members.  The MRT members look for topics which have not been addressed.  If you bump your topic it will make it appear that your topic is being addressed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Pinkachu

Pinkachu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

A rootkits hides malware on your PC. Malware hidden by rootkits often monitor, filter, and steal your data or abuse your computer’s resources.  This is a serious infection which could require reinstalling the operating system to get rid of the infection. 

You need to be sure that you are clean, you can't afford to guess that you are now clean.  Bleeping Computer has highly trained members of the Malware Removal Team who are your best shot of getting your computer clean.  Please do the following.

You need to start a topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.  You will need to do the following prior to starting your topic.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

* If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
   * In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done this, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so this topic can be closed by a Moderator.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Malware Response Team Members.  The MRT members look for topics which have not been addressed.  If you bump your topic it will make it appear that your topic is being addressed.

The top topic in the removal forums describes a deathly similar situation, being that it disabled security services, win update, and system restore. Should I take up the Malware Team's time by posting what seems to be the same situation, or just follow the instructions laid out to that user?

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

You need to start a new topic in the forum I suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users