Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible backdoor Crm in phones for seniors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ldm001

ldm001

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:17 AM

We should protect senior citizens (70+ years of age), not provide them with phones with backdoors.

This may be the wrong forum, but perhaps someone can help. On Tuesday we purchased (in the UK) a Doro 8030 phone which is designed for seniors, appropriate for my 92 year old mother. While setting it up I noticed that the manufacturer had created an account "Crm" with high level rights. No information currently via Google. When I contacted the Doro customer support they were cagey; when I suggested that this looked like Spyware or worse their response was:

"Dear Mr Marks,

We thank you for choosing DORO.

We advise you, not to report it as a virus or trojan, because is not. This is an App, that help us DORO to exchange DATA with your phone and vice versa, to give our clients a better service."

To me, this implies that they have created a hidden backdoor. If this is true, doing this on a phone which is designed for seniors outrages me. These are exactly the people who we should be protecting more than anyone else.

Maybe someone can point me in directions to test a bit more, or (better) someone with more expertise can look themselves. Unfortunately I came over to the UK (from the US) for a funeral and will only be in the UK for a few more days so I won't be able to do enough probing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ldm001

ldm001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:55 AM

As an addendum, they install Teamview softeare as part of their OS, so I am 99.9% certain that doro is deliberately adding a backdoor. This raises very serious security issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users