Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HouseCall stops at 38%

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gorbi500

gorbi500

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:33 AM

When trying to run HouseCall it stops at 38% and I get the following message:

An internal error has prevented HouseCall from opening.
Do you want to visit the HouseCall Web site to get the latest version and try again?

(E:1089072238:20)

I had this problem for 2 weeks, how to resolve this ?

I'm running Windows 10 Home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:47 AM

When unexpected issues arise with anti-virus software, I generally recommend a reinstall which resolves most problems...unless the product offers a "Repair" option which you can try first. If that does not correct the issue, then an uninstall and use of the vendor's removal tool (if one is available) for performing a clean reinstall would be the next step.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:28 AM

Hi, gorbi500 and Welcome to BC! :welcome:

Just for the record, you mean Trend Micro HouseCall, right?

https://www.trendmicro.com/en_us/forHome/products/housecall.html

The error message indicates that you have an older version of TM HouseCall.

Have you tried visiting the TM HouseCall Web site to get the latest version yet?

Alternatively, you can try another similar tool like ESET Online Scanner, which BTW is much faster.

https://www.eset.com/us/home/online-scanner/

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 16 November 2017 - 07:51 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 gorbi500

gorbi500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

I can't uninstall Trend Micro HouseCall, as the program don't appear in the list of programs in IOBIT uninstaller,

and don't appear in the list of programs in Revo uninstaller.

I've tried to visit Trend Micro HouseCall website and download the newest version, but it didn't work for me.

I will check Trend Micro's website to find an uninstaller, unless some of you users have other ideas, -thanks by the way.

/gorbi500

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:02 PM

I forgot that HouseCall was an online scanner.

Although Housecall may download some of the same files as Trend Micro Anti-virus, it does not uninstall the same way. According to Trend Micro, Housecall automatically removes everything that it used after performing a scan. However, some users have reported remnants left behind (i.e. tmcomm.sys) which apparently were not removed. A Housecall folder is created in the %temp% folder which stores most of the components used by the online tool and it can be manually deleted. You should be able to delete tmcomm.sys and other remnants as well but if you choose to use Housecall again, the files will be reinstalled when the Housecall folder is recreated.

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 686 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Hi again, gorbi500!

Sorry for the late reply, but:

I've tried to visit Trend Micro HouseCall website and download the newest version, but it didn't work for me.

Sorry to hear that, however, I would suggest deleting the HousecallLauncher.exe or HousecallLauncher64.exe and re-downloading it.

I suppose you chose the appropriate version (32-bit or 64-bit) according to your version of Windows 10 Home, correct?

Did you disable your real-time protection on your anti-virus prior to running TM HouseCall, as this is essential?

The large volumes of grey area malicious code and programs are causing increasing numbers of inaccurate detections. We have been informed that several competitors identify our HouseCall Launcher as grey area software (i.e. neither good nor malicious). If you still want to use HouseCall, you must disable the real-time search on your antivirus program while running HouseCall scans. Please remember to re-activate your real-time search after the scans.

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

Other than that, I would still suggest trying the ESET Online Scanner.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 17 November 2017 - 11:37 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

And ESET is one of the more effective free online scanners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users