Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost an important file...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Omega Knight

Omega Knight

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:25 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm currently attending school for game design, and while working on a level for a student's game, managed to lose the level. I cannot find it anywhere on my pc. I'm not sure why it vanished, but it's gone. Does anyone have any good tips/tricks/programs to help me recover an accidentally deleted Unity level?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:10 AM

If it was Deleted ? you can try Recuva and search the Recycle Bin or check the whole drive , you can select File / Pics / Videos / separately.

Download the Free Version   https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download

#3 Omega Knight

Omega Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:12 AM

While attempting to upload the file to the website my team is using, the file vanished from my computer... I'm not sure how or why, but it did. It's not in the recycling bin, or anywhere else I can think of.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Have you searched for it?

Is it possible that you used drag and drop and moved it to an adjacent folder? 

#5 Omega Knight

Omega Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:17 AM

A full scan of the computer, specifically searching for the file extension, came up dry... I am afraid that it has not only been removed from the master file table, but the memory location on the Hard drive has been overwritten too.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

Well, if you've used a recovery tool such as recuva or PhotoRec (part of TestDisk) to scan the free space and can't come up with it then it's gone.

Once something's overwritten it's overwritten.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 Omega Knight

Omega Knight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:34 PM

That has been my conclusion. Thank you to everyone who tried to help me recover this file.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:48 PM

Since this happens to be in the Windows 10 forum, and not to rub salt in an open wound, but now's the time to go out, get yourself an external backup drive, and use the built-in File History backup feature for user data files.  At the same time it's also a good idea to pick a third-party system image backup product and to take a full system image on somewhat regular intervals, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users