Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing all blue "help" buttons from top right corner of windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Avengement

Avengement

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:53 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to remove all the ugly blue "help" buttons from the top right corner of several of the windows throughout the OS, mainly in the control panel items.

I have identified the following files to contain them:

accessibilitycpl.dll
ActionCenterCPL.dll
DiagCpl.dll
fvecpl.dll
PerfCenterCPL.dll
powercpl.dll
sdcpl.dll
SensorsCpl.dll
systemcpl.dll
taskbarcpl.dll
themecpl.dll
usercpl.dll
wucltux.dll

For example, "wucltux.dll" is the windows update window.

Upon viewing the code through a hex editor via "UIFILE\123" for example, I believe that I have narrowed it down to the following:

<if class="cp_help_glyph">
<Button height="18rp" width="18rp" content="icon(99,sysmetric(49),sysmetric(50),library(imageres.dll))" padding="rect(1rp,1rp,1rp,1rp)" cursor="hand" accRole="link" accdefaction="click" tooltip="true"/>
<if keyfocused="true">
<Button contentalign="focusrect"/>
</if>
</if>
<if class="cp_content_pane">
<Element width="600rp" padding="rect(10rp,0rp,10rp,0rp)" background="themeable(dtb(CONTROLPANEL,2,0),window)"/>
</if>
<if class="wuapp_content_pane">
<Element width="600rp" padding="rect(26rp,0rp,26rp,0rp)" background="themeable(dtb(CONTROLPANEL,2,0),window)"/>
</if>
<if class="cp_content_instruction">
<Element contentalign="wrapleft" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,5,0,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE, 5, 0)" accessible="true" accRole="statictext"/>
</if>
<if class="cp_content_v_spacer">
<Element height="7rp"/>
</if>
<if class="cp_content_text">
<Element font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE, 6, 0)" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,6,0,3803)" contentalign="wrapleft" accessible="true" accRole="statictext"/>
<PText font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE, 6, 0)" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,6,0,3803)" contentalign="wrapleft" accessible="true" accRole="statictext"/>
</if>
<if class="cp_content_title_text">
<Element font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE, 19, 0)" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,19,0,3803)" contentalign="wrapleft" accessible="true" accRole="statictext"/>
</if>
<if class="cp_help_link">
<Button accessible="true" accRole="link" accdefaction="click" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,1,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,1)" overhang="false"/>
<Element accessible="true" accRole="link" accdefaction="click" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,1,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,1)" overhang="false"/>
<if keyfocused="true">
<Button contentalign="wrapleft | focusrect"/>
<Element contentalign="wrapleft | focusrect"/>
</if>
<if enabled="false">
<Button foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,4,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,4)"/>
<Element foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,4,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,4)"/>
</if>
<if mousefocused="true">
<Button cursor="hand" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,2,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,2)"/>
<Element cursor="hand" foreground="gtc(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,2,3803)" font="gtf(CONTROLPANELSTYLE,7,2)"/>

What portions do I have to delete to remove the button while still having the window functional?

Basically, I want to remove the blue buttons without breaking anything.

Deleting the blue question mark icon outright from the "imageres.dll" file causes breakage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:20 AM

Everyone is entitled to what they want on their machines, but I cannot for the life of me understand why you would want to do this :)

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get-help-button-from-command-bar-in-windows-7-explorer/

#3 Avengement

Avengement
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

Everyone is entitled to what they want on their machines, but I cannot for the life of me understand why you would want to do this :)

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-get-help-button-from-command-bar-in-windows-7-explorer/

Have you actually read this article?

This has to do with the command bar and is not applicable to what I'm seeking to accomplish.

Thanks for trying though.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

I did no understand what you meant initially (still don't) and the reply from Opera Avengement looks like it might be what you needed.

Keeping in in mind that we can't see what you are seeing why don't you include a screenshot/attach a JPG to your message and then we would not have to consult crystal balls, Ouija boards and other talismans.

[attachment=199711:Untitled.jpg]

Edited by joseibarra, 17 November 2017 - 03:19 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

In the link I gave you you can clearly see in the first screenshot the fact that they are pointing to the absence of the help button/question mark.

If this is not what you are talking about then you need to be clearer in what you describe.

#6 Avengement

Avengement
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:16 AM

&amp;nbsp;

I did no understand what you meant initially (still don't) and the reply from Avengement looks like it might be what you needed.

Keeping in in mind that we can't see what you are seeing why don't you include a screenshot/attach a JPG to your message and then we would not have to consult crystal balls, Ouija boards and other talismans.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

&amp;nbsp;

Since you are unaware of what the command bar is, I took your suggestion and uploaded an image.

The command bar is only found in windows explorer on the desktop. Not in individual applications.

By the way, Avengement in that article is me...

Help_Button.jpg

Edited by Avengement, 17 November 2017 - 02:18 AM.

#7 Avengement

Avengement
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:22 AM

&nbsp;

In the link I gave you you can clearly see in the first screenshot the fact that they are pointing to the absence of the help button/question mark.

If this is not what you are talking about then you need to be clearer in what you describe.

&nbsp;

The code mentioned in that link does not exist in the dll's I listed in my intial post.

See my previous post for an image of what I'm seeking to remove. It appears this board doesn't allow editing of earlier posts, otherwise I would have included the image there as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users