Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help restoring my Dell 545S back to win7 from win10. Frustrated!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jimfrits

jimfrits

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:36 AM

I started getting a lot of errors lately when starting the computer and it's gone through a few self repairs so I'm afraid the hard drive is about to go.  I'm going to switch to a solid state drive.  What I purchased is a 128 GB Sandisk to replace the 640 GB disk hard drive that came with the computer in 2009.  I don't need a large hard drive thus the 128 GB Sandisk.

Here is what I have to work with which is loaded on an external Seagate solid state 1TB drive:

Hard drive image taken in late 2015 while the computer was still a windows 7 machine

Hard drive image taken a couple of weeks ago when the computer is a running the free version of windows 10

Windows 7 recovery disk. Separate CD

Windows 10 recovery disk  Separate CD

I have a second computer which is what I'm using as I type this.  It's a Lenovo IdeaPad running the free version of windows 10.  It came with windows 8.1

Besides the hard drive giving me trouble, I discovered my optical drive does not work with Windows 10.  A common problem I've since discovered, but I've gotten round that because I have an external optical drive I use with the laptop when I need one.

Since the optical drive does work with Windows 7 I'm using it with the Win7 recovery disk to start the machine.  I have the external Seagate drive with the hard drive image plugged into the USB port.

Every thing is going okay until I get to the screen that asks me to chose the image I want to load.  It isn't there.  I'm getting a message that tells me that I need to load the drivers for the hard drive.  I don't know how to do that.   I struggled with that for a long time searching the internet for answers and downloadable drivers until I happened to find 3 drivers listed in the properties of the Seagate drive.  I found them in the windows\system32\drivers folder on the laptop but I don't know if these are what I need, and if they are, how to load them.  They all have .sys file extensions and they are small around 100 KB

Folks, I'm just not smart enough to figure this out so I need some help.  I'm a 74 year old retiree and have been using computers since the days of DOS but this has me hitting brick walls every direction I go.  Windows 10 is just too problematic for me to keep on the desk top machine.

I even tried loading the image onto a 128GB Sandisk USB drive but that didn't work either.

Edited by jimfrits, 16 November 2017 - 12:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:17 AM

I don't think there is an official method to restore a windows 10 upgraded system to Windows 7 system.

I follow a cracked process though :P, not at all safe.

Do a format with any Linux distro I prefer Mint ( for unknown reasons :d )

Follow through the links 

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-install-linux-mint-on-your-windows-pc/

https://linuxmint.com

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Rufus

Then again do a fresh format with your windows 7 image.

This procedure was used a decade ago for shifting Windows 7 systems to XP ages ago when people were afraid of Windows 7 on their systems.

Microsoft is forcing everyone to use Windows 10 these days. Either by displaying error messages or telling something this and something that.

I also think that you need a fresh DVD with the OS (or the old purchased DVD OS) for the later procedure, not the recovery disc. ( Just my thoughts though)

#3 jimfrits

jimfrits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:05 AM

I appreciate the response but that will not work for me.

I have changed my goal.  Since I can't do the back to Windows 7 I'm going to do a restore of my WindowsImageBackup for Windows 10.  I'm going to start a new topic in the appropriate forum when I can figure out which makes the most sense.

Edited by hamluis, 17 November 2017 - 09:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users