Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird computer behavior.. No clue as to why

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:35 AM

Hello there! So for awhile now, my, considerably new, computer has been yielding odd behavior lately.
So let's start at the beginning.

The computer frequently makes odd sounds that it didn't originally make. most of these sounds occur on booting it up, and then they typically go away after a time. One sound that occurs is almost a crackling noise. Not super loud, but it's strange and concerns me..

Another new sound that might be nothing, that upon booting up the computer, it makes almost a deep grumbling sound just for a couple of seconds. To imitate this noise, imagine clearing your throat very deeply. 

Also, I gotta state that when I purchased this computer, it originally came with a GTX 750 graphics card. But I decided to upgrade it, so I got a GTX 950 instead. I wonder as to if the power usage is causing these issues. 

Now for the real technical stuff that I'm concerned about.

Sometimes, as I'm on my computer doing one thing or another it just seems to run slower than it should. I don't know..    Gaming still renders perfectly fine though.

As of right now, the fan at the back of the case is not running AT ALL. And often it runs very very slow, and I feel it used to run faster right when I got the new PC as-is.    The only fan running in the system is the fan for the Intel i5 processor.

I also checked the fans inserted on the GTX 950, and they're not running either.. Of course, I haven't checked it until I found out just now that the fan at the back of the case wasn't running at all, so I can't make the assumption that the graphics card fans never ran before.

I'm alright with a hot computer. It doesn't concern me much, seeing as it hasn't made a death cry beeping noise or something like that, and there's no crazy lag--ever--that has occurred as I'm doing things on it, so that makes me more comfortable. The fact that three out of four fans in the PC aren't running though, that sure is a threat I'm trying to take care of!

I'll post a reply with information from Speccy to assist further.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2017 - 06:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:39 AM

Summary
        Operating System
            Windows 10 Home 64-bit
        CPU
            Intel Core i5 6400 @ 2.70GHz    42 °C
            Skylake 14nm Technology
        RAM
            8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-36)
        Motherboard
            MSI H110M PRO-D (MS-7996) (U3E1)    28 °C
        Graphics
            Generic Non-PnP Monitor (1280x768@60Hz)
            2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 (PNY)    52 °C
        Storage
            931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA)    36 °C
        Optical Drives
            HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0
        Audio
            Realtek High Definition Audio
Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Computer type: Desktop
    Installation Date: 11/23/2016 5:46:25 PM

#3 adi1104

adi1104

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:53 AM

Check your HDD if that's making the crackling sound.

If your HDD is really making the noise, then I recommend you to backup your important files as quickly as possible.

How To Tell If The Noise or Sound An Internal Drive Makes is Normalhttps://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=568

Edited by adi1104, 16 November 2017 - 03:00 AM.

#4 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the info adi. I'll look into it.

But, might some one have information regarding the fans? I noticed it was started running again earlier, but right now no air is coming out anymore..

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:02 PM

All your temperatures listed in your first post are entirely normal and nothing to worry about and on some systems fans don't run until temperatures reach some specified level. You certainly don't have a hot running computer.

You don't say what games you play but a simple way to see what happens as your GPU warms up is to try playing a reasonably complex game with all the video settings turned to maximum and see what happens. And in the event of overheating, computers don't usually make a 'death cry beeping'. From experience you get a muted 'click' and it justs shuts down completely and very quickly as the PSU turns itself off.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 adi1104

adi1104

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:21 AM

@ComputerGuy1500  Were you able to find the cause?

#7 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

Interesting info Chris, thanks!

And I'm still looking into it adi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users