Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big culprit found in registry. How do I deal with it?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 faster

faster

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:16 PM

For some months, my internet connection has said, "Unidentified Network." I didn't think it was important. But it is.

I have a network with my first name, and can't get that network in place of the other. The tools I can use make it impossible to make changes - the Windows files are altered.

So I went to the registry and found gazillions of entries where there was a folder with 3-4 WordPad files, "Wpad Decision," Wpad Decision Reason," "Wpad Decision Time" and "Wpad Network Name". The fourh one always referred to "Unidentified Network." The others had blue icons. That one had a red and white one.

So I started changing them to my first name, but thought all that would do was to rename "Unidentified", and leave me with the same invader, so I stopped.

There are literally HUNDREDS of these WordPad files. Should I erase them? Or might I be erasing my own first-name network too?

The word "decision" tells me it is telling my PC to use that network name, as though I had made the decision. I DID NOT.

I'd like to just delete all gazillion of those things. If you can assure me that my legitimate network does NOT depend on any WordPad things in the registry, I WILL delete the whole big bunch, one by one.

If I can restore my original network this way, it'll be worth the work. I think this "Unidentified Network" was being used to spy and inject malware. And slowing my PC bigtime.

I just discovered that ALL of these Wpad entries are under one folder, "Wpad." Can I just delete the whole folder, since ALL of them refer to this problem? I suppose it would take a very long time. The Wpad folder itself refers to "Wpad Last Network." I think that can go, too. What do you think?

I don't like messing with the registry, but this will require a LOT of messing. But maybe my PC won't run as slowly after I'm rid of them.

BTW, I have no Safe Mode. That has been taken from me also. Yes, I am preparing to reinstall W7, but it won't be soon.

Can I please have some input?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Unworn_Kilt

Unworn_Kilt

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

G'day,

I've just done a little research on your issue. Bear in mind I'm not a Malware Removal Expert. I'm just trying to help out while my own system is sorted out.

WPAD does not always mean Wordpad. It also stands for "Web-Proxy Auto Discovery (WPAD)."

Your problem may be more severe than you anticipated.

It would probably help an Expert to get started if you would outline the scans and other remedies you've taken so far. I'd suggest posting as much detail regarding that is possible to avoid going over the same ground again.

I'd suggest you do not randomly delete your entries, but rather post in the Networking Forum.

Alternately, if you haven't heard back from someone senior in another day or so, post a link to your topic HERE.

It does sound like you may have some form of Malware.

I'd be happy to attempt to assist you if you wish but I'm limited in the tools I can use due to Forum Rules.

If you would like me to try to help, please advise of what tools you've used so far and any other steps taken.

All I did was Google your "Wpad" as you entered it.

Good Luck.

Kilt.

:idea:

Edited by Unworn_Kilt, 17 November 2017 - 11:19 AM.

PLEASE NOTE

I am only a Standard Member,  NOT a Trained Malware Removal Expert. If you have ANY concerns regarding any advice I may give, please contact a Member of Staff before making changes.

Thanks!

** Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick **

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users