Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple processes of Intel security assist

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 randy13

randy13

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:05 PM

I have dell inspiron 15 3552 about 3 months old.
I noticed earlier today that task manager showed
11 occurances of Intel® Security Assist. All
showing from .0% to .3% of CPU. Now it shows
13 occurances. I don't know how to determine
what going on. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:03 AM

The following information came from the Should I Remove It? website.  Intel Security Assist - Should I Remove It?

Intel Security Assist is a program developed by Intel. The most used version is 1.0.0.532, with over 98% of all installations currently using this version. Upon installation and setup, it defines an auto-start registry entry which makes this program run on each Windows boot for all user logins. It adds a background controller service that is set to automatically run. Delaying the start of this service is possible through the service manager.

Unless you are having problems relating to this I would just let it slide.  It's not unusual to have multiple instances of the same process running in the Task Manager.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 randy13

randy13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for the response.

I am not seeing any problems currently however, there are now 15 different

processes for intel security assist in task manager half(?) are using cpu and memory at

any one time. That could eventually become a problem. 

There is only one user on this computer so I don't know what is causing the increase.

Guess I'll just keep watching it for now.

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

Hi, well that is unusual, this is part of the Intel management software package and is suitable in enterprise situations, surprised you actually have it, it is not going to be much use for you in a stand alone home computer, if you don't use raid, then it should be safe for you to disable the service. 

#5 randy13

randy13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. How would I go about disabling it.  I see an

entry in startup that is enabled.  Is that all I have to do?

Or I see in programs and features:

Intel Wireless Bluetooth

Intel Graphics Driver

Intel PROSet/Wireless Software

Intel Security Assist

Intel Trusted Execution Engine. Do uninstall Intel Security Assist?

Don't see any Intel Management Software.

#6 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

Hi, sorry I should have made this clearer. The software is a bundle coming under the heading of Intel management Engine, it is available on i7  and i5 processors. It is used as a method for Intel to assist enterprise (read business) clients to maintain optimal processor availability, it is not needed on a stand alone computer. The Intel security assist will contact Intels servers for status updates (and other management functions).

By disable the service I did not mean uninstall it, simply open services.msc (search , press enter) locate the service (should be called

'Intel® Security Assist) right click and select properties if started "Stop" the service, then set startup type to "Disabled".

This will disable the service from starting, and should you encounter any problems (shouldn't), you can always set it back to automatic start.

#7 randy13

randy13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:20 PM

Thanks  Jenae

Went to services.msc  and stopped Intel Security Assist and debated Intel Security Assist Helper.  Went ahead and

stopped it.  Disabled ISA in startup. Then did a restart.

Still 14 ISA processes. Ended each one in Task Manager. Another restart. Tried a few things and so far no problems.

I'll keep watching but appears everything is OK.

Thanks a lot for your time and expertise.

#8 randy13

randy13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:17 PM

Update:
After the little testing I did yesterday, the computer sat
idle for 3-4 hrs. When I returned there was one occurance
of Intel security assist in Task Manager.  In services.msc
ISA status was "Running  Manual" and
ISA Helper was "         Automatic".
Also startup is still disabled.
After some usage today all remains the same.
I have not seen any cpu usage by ISA.
Be nice to know who is starting ISA but it appears under
control.

#9 elazos

elazos

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

Happened to me yesterday, but I counted 53 Intel Security Assist processes running at the same time. I think its way too many of them. I will check if that happens today again and, if it does, would disabling it be an option??

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:42 AM

@elazos

There may be similarities between what you are experiencing and what the OP is dealing with, but there may be differences which could require a different approach to resolving your issue.  For this reason I would suggest starting your own topic.  Please include a full description of the issue you are experiencing, the make and model of this computer, and which version of Windows 10 you are running.  You should also post the link below to let others know that there is a similarity between your topic and the one the OP has started.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/662999/multiple-processes-of-intel-security-assist/?p=4458440

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users