Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 hangs on startup after installation of latest update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DIYTim

DIYTim

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

Today I installed the latest upgrade to windows 10 on my desktop machine and after completion of the installation the system booted up, apparently normally, until the scene from the cave looking out to a sandy beach appeared at which point to went into a hang mode.  The normal user name and login slot did not appear and it did not respond to the alt-ctrl-del command so I can't get to Task Manager etc. to try to recover the system.

I have tried to do a cold start several times but to no avail.

I would very much appreciate your expert advice on how I should proceed to recover the system.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:07 AM

Try holding the power button down when the little spinning circle shows up.

The computer will shut off, then do it again 2 or 3 times.

The computer should then enter Startup Repair and you can try the options there to repair the system or to revert back to the previous version.

I'd also suggest (once you're back in Windows) installing any:

- BIOS/UEFI updates

- latest W10 chipset drivers

- all the latest Intel stuff for W10 from the manufacturer's website

- storage drivers

- video drivers

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DIYTim

DIYTim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

Thanks usasma.  Following your advice I have been able to get back into the system and repair it.  As of this moment it is working well.

I will take your advice re updating the various updates you  mentioned shortly.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:31 PM

Those drivers are (IME) the one's that most often cause this sort of problem.

It's not a 100% fix - but it should help.

Also, now that you're back in - make a System Restore point.
While this doesn't always work for these situations, it works often enough that it's worth trying.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users