Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead laptop -- last error message: Driver_Power_State_Failure

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Modem_operandi

Modem_operandi

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

Hi all,
I was forced to check my laptop at an airline gate, and unfortunately it was not packed to be checked baggage as I intended to carry it on. Ever since then (in the last week), I have gotten BSOD's while the laptop has awakened from a hibernated state; each time it has rebooted after a message stating something like, "I'm sorry but your computer has run into problems and needs to restart," along with a reference to a "Driver_Power_State_Failure." This morning when I tried to awaken my laptop from hibernation, a few seconds after it started initializing it just shut off completely and now will not power on at all and appears dead.

Can anyone explain what that error message means and what causes it?
Is this a software or hardware issue?
Could this have been caused by rough handling at the airlines? (It was fine before that.)

Unfortunately, I don't believe I have ever manually set any restore points, nor do I remember if I made a start-up / reboot disk, Even if I did I have no idea where it is, but the laptop is not powering on anyway. I also don't have anything manually backed up (Bad, I know!), and I desperately need the files on this machine. Short of removing the hard drive to transfer files to another computer, is it possible to recover this one?

My stats:

64-bit Toshiba Satellite C75D-A laptop with AMD A6 quad core processor.

Running Windows 8.1

Thanks so much for any help you can provide! Unfortunately, of course I had important deadlines today, so any expedited help, if possible, would be greatly appreciated. I'm praying this is fixable!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:56 PM

We need more information about your system than what you've provided. Hence, please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Modem_operandi

Modem_operandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:56 PM

Hello, BWV848,

Thank you for your very quick reply! However, since my laptop will not power on, I don't know of a way to provide you with any diagnostic or dump files that you requested. The only thing I know to do is to provide the alternative information that is requested in the instructions:

· System Manufacturer -- Toshiba Laptop
· Exact model number (if laptop, check the label on bottom) -- Satellite, model C75D–A7370
· OS -- Windows 8.1
· x64 (64-bit)? -- yes
· What was original installed OS on system? Windows 8 -- it was upgraded from windows 8 to windows 8.1 in the store before my purchase. There are still some remnants of Windows 8.
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchase it from retailer)? Windows 8 was Pre-installed by the manufacturer, but was upgraded to windows 8.1 at the store before purchase, & not all remnants of Windows 8 were removed. I believe this was an upgrade downloaded from the Internet on top of the existing OS, without complete removal of windows 8 first.
· Age of the computer (hardware) -- There is no date stamp on the laptop. The spec sheet was copyrighted in 2013, however I believe I purchased the laptop in December 2014.
· Age of OS installation - and whether you have re-installed the OS? -- I purchased this at the store around December 2014 I think, and the Windows 8.1 OS was upgraded at the store from Windows 8 prior to my purchase.

· Laptop or Desktop computer? -- Laptop
· CPU -- AMD quad core A6-5200M accelerated processor, 2.0 GHz
· Video Card -- Radeon HD 8400 Graphics

Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide since I cannot power on the laptop.
Thank you very much!

#4 Modem_operandi

Modem_operandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

I forgot to answer per the question above that I have never reinstalled the OS after it was upgraded at the store.

#5 Modem_operandi

Modem_operandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:13 PM

PS, I do have another laptop that is very similar. I just realized that It may be possible to swap out the hard drive from the nonworking laptop to the working one if that will help provide you with any additional files that could be useful, while keeping in mind that it is a slightly different model and processor; I believe it's basically the next step up from the dead one (Same manufacturer).

(BTW, how do I stay logged into this forum? It logged me out a few minutes after I posted the last message, so I was actively using it.)

Thanks!

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:13 PM

Thank you for your very quick reply! However, since my laptop will not power on, I don't know of a way to provide you with any diagnostic or dump files that you requested.

You're welcome. Sorry for not reading your post carefully. :blush:

(BTW, how do I stay logged into this forum? It logged me out a few minutes after I posted the last message, so I was actively using it.)

Did you check the "Remember me" icon whilst logging in?

Could this have been caused by rough handling at the airlines? (It was fine before that.)

Not necessarily but highly likely. :) While 0x9Fs bugchecks are usually almost caused by driver problems, I wouldn't be surprise that the baggage handlers manged to cause some unknown hardware damage. Throwing things around is not good for anything. :wink:

This morning when I tried to awaken my laptop from hibernation, a few seconds after it started initializing it just shut off completely and now will not power on at all and appears dead.

When you press the power button what happens? Do any lights flash? Do you hear any beep codes? Do you see the laptop cooling fan spin? Have you made sure the battery is not dead (just plug the laptop into the wall)?

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#7 Modem_operandi

Modem_operandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:10 PM

Sorry, I was having trouble with your site from my iPad.
Hopefully I edited these quotes correctly. If not, I apologize in advance for screwed up formatting.

You're welcome. Sorry for not reading your post carefully. :blush:

Did you check the "Remember me" icon whilst logging in?

No I did not, but I did now! Thanks!

While 0x9Fs bugchecks are usually almost caused by driver problems, I wouldn't be surprise that the baggage handlers manged to cause some unknown hardware damage. Throwing things around is not good for anything. :wink:

I wouldn't be surprised especially since the guy who made me check it had a major nasty attitude. He probably threw it. Incidentally the suitcase came back with melted chocolate all over it that I couldn't fully notice until it dried. Airline policy is that damage must be reported within 4 hours. Of course I couldn't know the problems with my computer within that short period so they will deny responsibility.

When you press the power button what happens? Do any lights flash? Do you hear any beep codes? Do you see the laptop cooling fan spin? Have you made sure the battery is not dead (just plug the laptop into the wall)?

When I press the power button, absolutely nothing at all happens. No lights, no sounds. It's completely dead as if the CPU went out, but I'm guessing (hoping?) it's probably related to the driver_power_state_failure error message...?? ...since it was blue screening and giving me that message when coming out of hibernation, and it was attempting to come out of hibernation when it just died, so I'm guessing they are related...??

The battery was the first thing I thought of. However, it was already plugged in. Just in case, I had checked the power cord for any damage or kinks, and I checked all the plugs & connections to make sure they were tight, unplugging each Junction and plugging it back in. I had even tried plugging it into a known working outlet in case that was the issue. No luck.

#8 Modem_operandi

Modem_operandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:20 PM

Just to clarify, it had been blue screening with the DPSF error message when coming out of hibernation at times PRIOR to when it died. When it actually died, I did not experience a blue screen in that moment...At least not that I could see visually on the screen. It had been coming out of hibernation for a only a few seconds (i.e. The usual powering-up sounds when I opened the lid), but then suddenly shut off before the screen lit up. So it did not crash or go through any "shut down" procedure; it simply died as if someone suddenly cut the power or the CPU went out.

#9 Modem_operandi

Modem_operandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

Wow, amazing! On a whim, I just removed the battery and put it back in, just in case something was dislodged, and lo and behold it powered up without a blue screen!!!! Amazing luck to have thought of that! And thank goodness! Perhaps the jostling from the flight somehow loosened the battery connection even though it seemed to be seated properly. Odd that this "fixed" it though because the battery was snapped in and the laptop is fully charged.
I guess I will post the logs you requested, tomorrow, to see what is causing the BSOD because now I am questioning whether the issues are even related...??
Please stay tuned...

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:27 PM

Glad to hear that! It slipped my mind to ask you to remove and reseat the battery in my last post! Do post the logs ASAP. I'd also suggest backing up ALL your files first however.

#11 Modem_operandi

Modem_operandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:32 PM

Yes, huge relief for now!
I still want to address the BSOD error though, so will try to post the logs tomorrow.
Thanks!

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:59 PM

Any luck? :)

#13 Modem_operandi

Modem_operandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

Hi, yes, sorry! Several interruptions and busy day. Yesterday I did find more information about the age of my system as well as my recovery discs I made back in 2014. (They were sitting right next to my PC! :P)
I also excavated external hard drives and am in the process of reconfiguring them up to back up my system.
I'm Still getting the BSOD with same error message every time my laptop comes out of hibernation.
I Have a busy day today so it might actually take me another day or two to post the logs.
Stay tuned and thanks for checking in!

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

You're welcome. :) Take your time.

#15 Modem_operandi

Modem_operandi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:06 PM

BWV848, Sorry I dropped the ball following up on this...I was in the process of setting up system backups when other "things in life" suddenly became urgent and critical...and then the holidays...and then back to other "urgent and critical things"...such is life. :P

Since the Blue Screen error somehow worked itself out within a week or so after reseating the battery, and was no longer happening, I turned my attention to the other crises and issues that needed addressing.  Do you think it will still be useful to follow up with the logs to see what may have been causing the persistent error and blue screen in case this happens again?

I'm actually buried in tax prep right now, so I'd have to get back to this later (again), but I came to post on another topic, and thought I should check in rather than leave this thread hanging, unfinished.

Thanks for your time and help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users