Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start after spill

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jrbug

Jrbug

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:17 PM

Hi. Earlier today I accidentally spilled some water on my laptop. It was plugged in and turned on at the time. Most of the water spilled on the left side of the laptop including all over that part of the keyboard. I immediately sopped up the water with a paper towel. While doing so my hand hit the power button and it shut off. I removed the keyboard and looked below and could only see a small drop or two of water that appears to have gone through. It was right about where the network adapter is. Some also splashed under and got some of the battery but not much. The rest went on the screen and the touchpad.

I cleaned it up put everything back together and not thinking it was that bad tried to turn the computer on. Nothing. If I unplugged it and tried it with just the battery in the power light would flicker but the computer would not turn on. None of the four lights on the computer will turn on at all now.

Right now I have it just sitting here with the battery out and the power source unplugged. I can't find any other place internally other than the keyboard and the bit next to the network adapter that went through.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Could it have shorted the keyboard and that just won't let it start? Should I let it sit for a few days, contact a repair shop, or call it a loss and go buy another one?

Its a Dell Inspiron 15R.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

You can try packing it in a storage bin with rice for a few days.  Pour the rice on the bottom and place something between the rice and the laptop.  Seal the storage bin.  The rice will absorb the moisture.

All that said, liquids and laptops don't mix and rarely is the outcome a working laptop.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,206 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

An alternative to Kilroy's rice treatment is to put it in something like an airing cupboard or any warm dry place, if you have a heating boiler near that would be ideal, and leave it with the lid open for a couple of days. then try again.

One problem with water is that not all waters are equal. If you live in a 'hard' water area, ie one with a lot of dissolved minerals in the water, it is these minerals that cause short circuits and other damage when the water dries out. Pure - de-ionised or distilled - water is a very poor conductor, it is the salts and minerals that do the damage.

Whichever way you go, rice or warmth, if after a couple of days you try the laptop and you try the laptop and it doesn't work, you should always be able to pull the hard drive out and recover your data by slaving it to another computer. If you need advice on how to do this, post back after the couple of days.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users