Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebel PC Not Playing Nicely on Home Network

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 susanrs

susanrs

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

Hi, Folks -

I have a home network set up with three computers, all connected via ethernet to the home router - one MacBook Pro (mid-2014 retina 15" running OS High Sierra 10.13.1), and two Windows PCs.

One of the PCs is running Windows 7 Professional (SP1), and the other was running Windows 7 Home Premium. Everything is connected to the same workgroup. File sharing is turned on for all machines.

The Windows 7 Professional machine is able to see, read & write to the shared folders on Mac.

The Mac is able to see, read & write to the shared folders on both PCs.

The Windows 7 Home Premium machine was able to see, read & write to the shared folders on the Windows 7 Professional PC.

The Windows 7 Home Premium machine was able to see the Mac, but was unable to connect to it. Instead, it kept displaying the error message:

"The specified network name is no longer available."

After days and days of google searches, I learned it could be a flaw in Windows 7 Home Premium. So, I upgraded that machine to Windows 7 Professional.

However, I am still receiving the same error message.

Does anyone know what the problem might be or what settings I should check?

Thanks in advance!

Susan

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2017 - 04:24 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users