Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Desktop hanging and licensing issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rshackleford2000

rshackleford2000

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:48 PM

I was hoping maybe someone here might know something about these problems involving RDP/Terminal Services on a small Windows 2016 server. (I have not dealt much with RDP but was asked to take a look at these issues.)

Firstly, what's happening is that every few days RDP sessions can no longer be established. What happens on the client systems when trying to connect is that a "Starting virtual machine" message pops up for about 10 seconds, then RDP comes up with a black screen. The control bar is displayed briefly at the top of the screen, then the session terminates with no error messages.

The staff has been rebooting the server when this happens and then they can connect again. I found that just restarting the RDP services would have the same effect.

Then there are apparently also issues with RDP licensing which may or may not have anything to do with the above problem. There are 6 RDP CALs installed in per-user mode. What's happening is that the RD Licensing Diagnoser is reporting an error:

The Remote Desktop Session Host server is in Per User licensing mode and No Redirector Mode, but license server dwserver.darkwaters.local does not have any installed licenses with the following attributes:

Product version: Windows Server 2016
Licensing mode: Per User
License type: RDS CALs

The Diagnoser also proposes the following solution:

Use RD Licensing Manager to install the appropriate licenses on the license server.

However, if I am reading it correctly, the RD Licensing Manager is showing that everything is OK, though apparently the CALs are going to expire soon?? The has no problem connecting multiple RDP sessions though. Here's a screen shot of the licensing manager:

Attached File  rdlm.jpg   73.95KB   0 downloads

Another page in the Licensing Manager shows CALs installed with no expiry date:

Attached File  rdlm2.jpg   56.79KB   0 downloads

The RD Deployment Overview in Server Manager also appears to show good status for the various components:

Attached File  rdp-deployment-overview.jpg   56.95KB   0 downloads

Though as I said this is an area that I have little experience in and I may well be missing something obvious. Any insight into these issues would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rshackleford2000

rshackleford2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:28 AM

Just to update this, some more research suggests this kind of problem is fairly common with RDP. There are a number of potential causes one of which is buggy video drivers which prevent the RDP display from initializing. I've updated the ASPEED video driver on the server and will see how it goes. (There have been no more RDP hangs but it is too early to say yet if the problem is fixed.)

As far as the disparity between the Licensing Diagnoser and the Licensing Manager I have not been able to find any information at all on that problem.

Edited by rshackleford2000, 20 November 2017 - 07:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users