Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving User Profiles to a different folder structure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:08 PM

Last night I started to set up a new machine which came loaded with Windows 10, Version 1511, out of the box.

It oddly did not ask me about setting up an account linked to a Microsoft Account, so I set up a local account that I named "Test."  Then I stupidly (for the purposes of this post, anyway) did the "Log in with a Microsoft Account instead" treatment on this account, which worked fine.   Now, however, even though I have that Microsoft Account linked Windows 10 user account logging in precisely as it should, all of its files and folders are under C:\Users\Test rather than C:\Users\{username}.

I have manually created a folder and shifted Documents, Pictures, etc., over to it, but the things like AppData, etc., etc., are still under C:\Users\Test.

If I can avoid having to create another local user account with admin privileges, blowing the existing account away, and recreating it I'd like to do so if moving those remaining files/folders associated with the account, but in the Test folder, is relatively easy.  I find it really messy to have this stuff split across folder structures rather than unified under one.

If it's simpler do a create alternate admin, blow away existing MS-linked Win10 User Account, recreate account just nuked in order to get things where they should be then I'll do that instead.

Just looking for the wisdom of the cohort on this one.  

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

I don't know how it affects a local vs Microsoft account but there are steps for changing the name and profile on Windows 7. I assume this would work for Windows 10.

It may be easier to hose the account and start fresh.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19834.how-to-rename-a-windows-7-user-account-and-related-profile-folder.aspx

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:50 PM

John,

I went with the "hose and start afresh" technique when, upon trying to download something and using the folder I had created as the "new location" for Downloads, I was told I did not have permission.   All of these folders were created after the "conversion" of the local account to the Microsoft Account linked account, so permission should not have been a problem.

I simply set up one of my other Microsoft Accounts to a linked one on the machine with admin privileges, blew away the existing one with the "mixed locations," and then recreated it as a Microsoft Account linked account again.  This proved to me much easier than having to deal with endless issues like "don't have permission" messages popping up out of the blue would have been.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users