Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Importing bookmarks not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:51 AM

After resetting my laptop I had to open a new Gmail account.

I'm getting the new address Gmails but the bookmarks bar is empty. How to import the bookmarks from my original account - can this be done?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

I presume your using Google Chrome? If this is the case please refer to THIS guide provided by Google. If your using another browser please comment what browser and I can provide you the steps.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for your response.

I am using Chrome and have done the importing from Chrome Settings but when it says 

1. Select the program that contains the bookmarks you'd like to import

It only gives Edge as an option.

This is also happens  when I have my original Gmail open on the laptop  there is no original Bookmarks bar/Other Bookmarks showing  - that bar shows only what shows when I have the other Gmail open and if I go into Settings> Bookmarks import only the Edge bookmarks is the option..

I admit this is a slightly different scenario from my 1st post but is somehow connected, no?

#4 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:49 PM

The only way to get bookmarks are either having your gmail signed into chrome and syncing it(which should be done by default) then signing into your gmail account on chrome again to get them on other devices.

If you view THIS article you can see the process to get all bookmarks, passwords, & more on all devices through gmail/chrome.

Edited by TyronSmiteApril, 15 November 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:16 PM

Something odd has happened - this is the 3rd time I have posted in this reply space - every time I return to it is blank.

However something worse has happened - in my original Gmail account all my many bookmarks have gone and are replaced by just the 2 bookmarks from the 2nd account!

I hope they are still there on my PC.

That's it for another day - thanks for all advice given by all - much appreciated.

#6 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:19 PM

If your bookmarks are gone and being replaced by two bookmarks from a different account try signing into the other account on Chrome and see if they comeback. 

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:32 PM

Good idea but signing in afresh didn't get my bookmarks back. I suppose they must be somewhere though....

#8 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

If your bookmarks were not synced when you were last signed into your "main" account you might not be able to get them back. At this point all I can suggest is a fresh start with your bookmarks.

#9 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:02 AM

Turning on my PC this morning I found all my bookmarks still there under my original email page! Thank God!

Altho I can choose which of the 2  email accounts on the laptop shown by clicking on my picture (top right) both these accounts show the same just 2 bookmarks which I made on the new account.

So something odd has happened,. But as I had to open that new account on the laptop but now no longer need I will delete that account and see if that clears up this glitch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users