Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Win Med. Player only gives sound and not the video?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

After resetting my laptop, My videos from an external drive will only play the audio with W.M. PLayer and the FILM/TV player.

With the WMP only the MPEG logo image appears when opening the video files. It used to show the first picture of the file.

The FILM/TV player just shoes the generic logo on all the files. I haven't tried VLC yet.

Using my old netbook all is OK.  Resetting the laptop has caused a few problems.

How to get the video back? Any help please.

Win 10 & Chrome

Edited by zzzz, 15 November 2017 - 11:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

Please try downloading the media player codec pack found HERE.

Side Note: It also looks like the issue may have been happening for some time now since windows 10 was released. I personally think you should try VLC if the codec pack doesn't help. 

Edited by TyronSmiteApril, 15 November 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for that  - I'll try it.

(Just got the Win 10 update just before this so had to log in again - one never knows what state one's computer will be in after an update)

#4 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for that  - I'll try it.

(Just got the Win 10 update just before this so had to log in again - one never knows what state one's computer will be in after an update)

I know that haha I mean it appears to be an issue that's been happening for a while. Looks like your windows update might have broke it for you finally. 

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:06 PM

Oh a problem with the codec install - please see the screenshot. Also my Panda AV stopped something - too fast to read properly.

Can you decode please?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hyksfnh6f8w7jrm/Screenshot%202017-11-15%2019.05.21.png?dl=0

#6 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:14 PM

Oh a problem with the codec install - please see the screenshot. Also my Panda AV stopped something - too fast to read properly.

Can you decode please?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hyksfnh6f8w7jrm/Screenshot%202017-11-15%2019.05.21.png?dl=0

I am currently at work so I don't have access to download from dropbox. Can you attach it to your post by selecting more reply options then adding the attachment that way, otherwise you will have to wait till I arrive home.

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:33 PM

OK I will try that. In the meantime VLC after download  is working OK.

There is no attachment options in More Reply Options! No paper clip icon. There used to be !

#8 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

OK I will try that. In the meantime VLC after download  is working OK.

There is no attachment options in More Reply Options! No paper clip icon. There used to be !

Good to know VLC isn't have issues, as for the attachments I am not sure why its not there as its gone for me as well, it very well could be the section we are in or a site issue.

#9 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:41 PM

I'm glad it isn't only me as I'm having more troubles - cannot paste or drag screenshots either.

Have to see tomorrow if any change.

#10 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:36 PM

For the error message you provided via screenshot have you attempted to do it as an administrator? Like right click and run as admin.

#11 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 05:48 AM

I just tried the Codec here on my PC to try it and got the message that it couldn't complete the action due to insufficient resources.

I hadn't tried the external drive with the videos on this PC but altho it is named in the 'Safe to remove' in the System Tray it is not recognised in 'This PC' so can't tell if WMP works. Altho I have WMP on my PC didn't I read that it wasn't included in Win 10?

I'll try the Codec glitch screen shot again on my laptop later as I have installed Pickpic screen shotter (my term) to see if that works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users