Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update - how to install from hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

I downloaded the 7 important updates that were available today for Windows 7.  There was the Security Update for November, the Malicious Software update and 5 updates for Office Suite 2007. They downloaded but after running about 70 minutes saying it was installing "Windows Security Update Office Word 2007",  I stopped the installation...assuming I could restart and come back and install the remaining updates.

Now of course I can't figure out how to install the remaining 4 downloaded updates.  According to WU snip attached, 3 updates were installed.

The second snip shows what's downloaded in Software Distribution right now.

BTW, this laptop won't do a System Restore so I need another way to get these downloaded updates installed.

Thank you.

Forgot to mention that I noticed Malwarebytes Tray Application is continuously running according to Task Manager.  I thought this issue had been fixed. Perhaps this is had something to do with the very slow installation?

Attached Files

Edited by jackiemarie, 15 November 2017 - 10:53 AM.

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

Have you tried to manually download and install those updates one at a time?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

No I haven't.  Didn't take a snip of the list, so where do I go to find out exactly which ones they were?

PS: aren't they already downloaded in the Software Distribution folder?  Is there a way to identify what's in the Distribution folder and install from there?

Edited by jackiemarie, 15 November 2017 - 11:06 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:38 AM

Obviously you know to open the Programs and Features in the Control Panel and select View installed updates to view what has been successfully installed and those which had problems.  You can see where the (KB 4011205) was not successfully installed.  I would go to the Windows download website and manually download and install the update.

Description of the security update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3: November 14, 2017

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

The original WU notification listed 7 important updates.  Yes I could see the two that had been installed and the one that had been cancelled. 

More importantly, Windows Update returned several hours later with another notification that 5 important updates needed to be installed; those updates were performed successfully.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,598 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:46 PM

From the image everything was successful except KB4011205

You can download from the Microsoft Update Catalog.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb4011205

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

Once downloaded from the microsoft catalog save the files to your hardrive. Make sure to check their digital signature to ensure they're the right things. Then open them, clicking ok at any UAC prompts, and they should install the updates. Note that in some cases you may have to manually stop the windows update service from the servces tab of task manager before opening the downloaded files, as if one doesn't (atleast in my experience) the dialog box saying "checking for installed updates" remains in place and never moves on to the next step.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

I do apologize; apparently my ability to explain the problem wasn't communicated well.

Originally, all 7 important updates were downloaded successfully from the WU home (I have to assume they went somewhere on my hard drive, maybe a temp file).  When only 2 of the 7 updates were successfully installed, I thought I could go to the area of my hard drive where the 7 had been downloaded to and install the remaining 5 from there.  However I didn't know where to look for them or how the file name might read, so that's when I posted the question.

As I wrote in post #5, the problem was solved about 4 hours later when an official Windows Update Notification appeared in the lower right task bar informing me that 5 downloaded updates were still available to be installed.  I clicked on the Notification; it went to WU page and the 5 updates were successfully installed.  Snip attached.

In the meantime, I'd downloaded updates from the Microsoft Catalog and tried to install manually, but was unsuccessful on the first try...so just waited awhile to give it more thought...then the Notification appeared and the problem was solved.  I can see from rp88's post #7 that if I would have stopped the WU service in Services, the manual install might have worked.

But, WU let me know about the 5 downloaded updates still available for installation, and for the first time ever, all went smoothly from that point on.

Thank you for your attention and responses.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users