Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Fire Fox Stinks!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

Got the new FF update last night, what a bummer!!!  Many book marks disappeared, the look and feel has changed much to my dislike.  I wonder if I can revert to the last version?  Is anyone else not happy???

Phil 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:33 AM

My Firefox v56 updated yesterday to v57. My 'add-ons',the ones that i deem important ie. Ad-blocker & Privacy Badger were still there,so on that count everything was ok.

However,regarding the hoped for increase in broswer speed - it simply hasn't materialised !. It's as slow as v56,which was never that bad that i lost sleep over it.

All my bookmarks are still in place,& the only thing that seems to have changed is the Homepage appearance. All in all,a waste of time - at the moment. I'll await further updates in the hope that eventually Firefox v57 will live up to the months  of 'hype' :(

I had 'Auto update' turned on & it didn't update on the 14th. I turned auto UD 'off' & then had to turn it back on again for v57 to install,which it did within seconds.

I suppose to give Mozilla the benefit of the doubt - this is a brand new version,'relatively' untried except for the Beta version,so we should expect a few glitches. However,since most of the hype was about 'speed' - i'd have expected that to be there from the first second it went live - it wasn't. Just something else that's been 'improved worse' !!!. (At the moment)

Edited by Saska01, 16 November 2017 - 08:30 AM.

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:56 AM

Just installed the new Firefox 57 and it is great the one extension I use is there and all of my bookmarks are still there and the speed is great and I also like the new design. :cool:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:49 AM

I have an issue with book marks doubling, Also ut refuses to book mark some sites.  I did a search there is quite a bit out there about many others having issues.  FF will probably make some fixes, I hope!

#5 ChirunoIceFairy

ChirunoIceFairy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

It installs even when auto-update is switched to off which is a concern.

This is a new engine though (Quantum) hence why there are a lot of issues atm.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:27 AM

I forgot to mention the same thing here, I had FF auto update but it updated anyway on both my tower and laptop.

#7 1450

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:59 PM

Task manager shows 4 firefox.exe programs running to the tune of 846,000 k of memory.

Edited by 1450, 16 November 2017 - 08:00 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:14 PM

Got the new FF update last night, what a bummer!!!  Many book marks disappeared, the look and feel has changed much to my dislike.  I wonder if I can revert to the last version?  Is anyone else not happy???

Phil 

You don't want to revert to the older version, ie 56, because of security. You can download the ESR version which currently is at v52.5.0 and work with legacy add-ons. ESR will be at v52 until Firefox 60 when it will be 52.8.0. This will be the last version before upgrading to Quantum on ESR 59.1.0 which will be June 2018

release-overview.6ada2b83ca80.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 November 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#9 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:25 AM

JohnC_21,

Do you know if ESR 59.1.0 will work in Windows VISTA?  Also, would ESR versions 52.5-59.1 work in Windows 10?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:13 AM

52.5-59.1 will work in Windows 10 and should work in Vista. Remember to backup your bookmarks. You can confirm if it works before installing by using the portable version of Firefox ESR. This is what I use with Legacy addons as my main browser is Chrome and did not want to install another browser so I am using the portable version.

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox-portable-esr

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 November 2017 - 09:15 AM.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

Personally I've gone to ESR for the moment, that's the only way to keep Noscript working for now. Once NoScript has been released for the web extensions format of firefox 57 I'll go back to a release channel firefox within a week or so.

Esr is 52 based, a 59 based ESR doesn't exist yet and won't for months. ESR should work on any OS that a release version can work on, and ESR MIGHT support some OS's which can't run release but it's not certain to.

Edited by rp88, 18 November 2017 - 12:47 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

NoScript also works in Pale Moon.

Linux users can also install Pale Moon from a software repository.
https://linux.palemoon.org/

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:07 PM

So can I choose just to not update to the new FF or do I need to go to the ESR?  I have mine set to Only Update when I choose to do so and don't want to upgrade until all my extensions work.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

So can I choose just to not update to the new FF or do I need to go to the ESR?  I have mine set to Only Update when I choose to do so and don't want to upgrade until all my extensions work.  

If you do not choose to update you will lose security fixes unless you go to ESR. ESR is delaying the inevitable as ESR will go to Quantum (v59) no later than June 2018 so we're only talking about 7 months. 

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,087 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

I should have understood that to start with John, so thanks for clarifying it for me!  Just wanted to be sure of all options.  Will need to learn new things, and maybe explore options in Chrome.  I think I read that Tor still supports NoScript for a while also, perhaps that has something to do with ESR, if it is indeed built on Firefox.

The new one don't Seem all that much faster, but Tech moves on and we all adjust, well most of us lol.  I am one that don't move too quickly.  I've downloaded countless Linux ISO's with Firefox's DownThemAll, NoScript and Xmarks were also simple effective parts of my daily computing.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users