Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EaseUS Todo Backup/Recovery

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

Now, moving on to EaseUS Todo.

All attempts at cloning, whether using Macrium or EaseUS from my hard drive that's in the slow (obviously, I'm still typing to you from that laptop) process of failing have not worked.

The good news is that I took a full system image backup using EaseUS Todo at the end of October and it was able to do another incremental backup overnight last night that succeeded.

I have not used EaseUS Todo for recovery yet.  I have what will probably be a very basic question, but I thought I'd ask before even trying it:   Is it possible to recover on to a drive that is connected as an external drive to the computer?   I would hope so, but really don't know for sure.  I'd rather do the recovery that way followed by the "drive transplant" if possible.

As an aside, if one is attempting to do a clone with EaseUS must the target drive be one huge block of unallocated space?  The clone process kept telling me there was not sufficient unallocated space, but I had over 900 GB of unallocated space (just not at the very start of the drive) on the target for a 500 GB source drive.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

From Easeus

All you need is a brand new empty SSD or HDD or enough unallocated space in the destination disk to load all system and boot partition data.

I think Easeus may be getting confused per your description of the unallocated space not being at the start of the drive.

As far as I know you can restore an image to a USB external drive albeit it will be slow using USB.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 November 2017 - 09:56 AM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

Absolutely!  There should be no problem with either restoring a full image or a full image/incremental set, or a full image/differential set onto an external hard-drive.  Cloning -- doesn't care which HD is source and which HD is target.

I see JohnC and I posted at the same time  :)

Edited by RolandJS, 15 November 2017 - 10:02 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

"All attempts at cloning, whether using Macrium or EaseUS from my hard drive that's in the slow (obviously, I'm still typing to you from that laptop) process of failing have not worked..."  I'd like to learn more about what error messages you received -- I need to add your experience to my knowledge bank, as meager as my knowledge bank is at present.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

Thank you gentlemen.

I realize that this will be a painfully slow process.  The incremental backup took approximately 8 hours last night to complete, which was far longer than the original full backup took to complete.  Of course, there has been approximately three weeks since the full and this incremental and with the latest updates to Windows 10 my dot number on the build had changed.

I imagine this will be a painfully long process, but whatever time it takes it takes.  The source drive for the actual system backups is USB 3.0 but the target drive will be hooked up via USB 2.0, so it will drag out.

Roland, if you tell me what logs you'd like for me to look at for each product, respectively, I can try to snag the detailed failure information.  What gets presented to the end user is not detailed in any way but pretty much just says, "Clone failed."

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:44 AM

Gotcha!  I get a few of those type of messages throughout each year, very informative, aren't they?  Not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users