Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems since new FF update Malwarebytes found 2 pups

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tierra93

Tierra93

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:22 AM

Yesterday I downloaded the new Firefox Quantum.  It has most of my regular addons for security not working as security but as legacy.  I did try some of the recommended addons to replace but not happy with them and couldn't access most of my sites (fairly safe things like National Geographic POD, etc.).

This morning I ran my routine morning malwarebytes scan and it found 2 pup that I think maybe related to one of the new addons.  For now quarantined on malwarebytes but not sure if I should remove the addon (I'd like to if it's the problem) or if that would cause more problems or not get rid of the problems.  Not even sure if it's the problem.

I've copied and pasted what malwarebytes has found (don't know how to add attachments - not sure if new FF is blocking that symbol or not - it's acting very unusual),

Thank you

PS when tried to post the copied and pasted malwarebytes image disappeared.  How do I show it.  They say PUP.optional.FlagPlus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

A PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) is not really an infection in any meaningful sense, hence the reason for the "Potentially."

PUPs are generally the result of bundling, where when you're trying to install one thing you also install something else that was not what you were looking for.

If you get a PUP warning on something that you intentionally installed, and you wish to keep it, you should exclude it from future searches as it is not unwanted by you.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

Thank you - britechguy!

I looked and I thought it was an addon that I added to replace flagfox; however, on second look it's not there. 

I didn't know FF addons bundled, and the program isn't there after all to delete. 

Should I just delete the pups from malewarebyte?  Could they come from something else than FlagPlus that it says (because I checked both admin and general account FF and I don't have it on this morning - but don't remember why it's not there).

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,911 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

My approach to PUPs is if I do not instantly recognize them as something I use and Malwarebytes, Zemana Antimalware, or similar flags them I simply allow them to be quarantined.

The "Potentially" in most PUPs turns out to be, "No, I don't want that, don't know what it is, and don't know how it got here in the first place."

My earlier point is that PUPs are not cause for panic, and you should scan the list of things found because, on occasion, something is flagged as a PUP that you definitely want, and you need to exclude that something from future scans if you don't eventually want to end up quarantining it by accident when you're in a hurry after a scan is complete and has identified PUPs to quarantine.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

Thank you - britechguy!

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,911 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

You're quite welcome.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users