Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP address input produces nothing when attempting to set up WiFi repeater

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lithoartist

lithoartist

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:39 AM

I purchased a Wireless-N WiFi repeater from Aigital last week to provide a better signal to my DAB internet radio.  I set it up successfully.  I discovered the network connection to my radio was not working yesterday, however.  I have tried to set it up again but the IP address http://192.168.10.1 produces nothing.  I receive a message, "This site can't be reached.  192.168.10.1 took too long to respond.", instead of a login screen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:52 AM

Are you sure of the IP address? References I find to Aigital extender/repeaters seem to say http://192.168.10.253

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:02 AM

Platypus

I thank you for your prompt reply.

The instruction manual states that address and it is what I used originally.  I get nothing when I type or enter http://192.168.10.253, either, so I wonder if something else can be at play?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:09 AM

The device you're trying to connect to the extender with has connected to the extended network I assume, not the network being extended?

Done a power cycle, a reset?

#5 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:31 AM

I am unsure of your first sentence.  The repeater is to act as an intermediary between my router and my radio.  The first step is to configure the repeater to the router.  The second step is to configure the radio to the repeater.  This, I did successfully.  The network now no longer existing between the repeater and the router, I am trying to configure it again.  I have reset the repeater.  I select the repeater on my PC from the network list, click "Connect", type "http://192.168.10.1", when a login screen should appear.  That is when I receive the message I wrote at the start of this topic.

I wonder if this extract holds the clue:

192.168.10.1 - 192.168.l0.1 Login Admin To setup router from the list below type http://192.168.10.1/ in your browser. You should see login screen for the router administration inferface. If you see “Connection timeout”, “Connection error” or other error then most probably your router isn’t using 192.168.10.1 ip address as a default.

If so, what should I do?

Edited by lithoartist, 15 November 2017 - 05:46 AM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:56 AM

I select the repeater on my PC from the network list

That's what I was wanting to confirm, you're able to know for sure the connection is to the repeater - sometimes someone sets up the same SSID on both their router and the repeater/extender and it's not clear which one is being connected to.

The instructions you quote were supplied with the extender? They sound like generic instructions for connecting to any router.

Edited by Platypus, 15 November 2017 - 05:57 AM.

#7 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:20 AM

The extract was contained in one of the results from entering the IP address.  I am clutching at straws, I know!

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:56 AM

one of the results from entering the IP address.

I don't follow this, entering it into... a Google search? That IP is the default for a good number of modems, but if you're absolutely certain it's the IP you used successfully to initially set up the repeater, then it should still work, as long as your PC is actually connecting to the repeater.

In the absence of direct information about the particular model of repeater, does it have an RJ45 LAN port you can connect directly to with a LAN cable? You could see if you can connect that way, in case a security measure has blocked Admin access by wireless (although I would expect a reset would cancel that setting).

Another unfortunate possibility is that being a new unit, it may have suffered an "infant mortality" early failure...

#9 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:02 AM

All is well!
I found “Make this PC discoverable” was set to “Off” in Settings>Status>Change connection properties in my Windows 10 PC.  I turned it on, not knowing what would be the effect.  It had the desired result – the login screen appeared and I was able to complete the setup process successfully.  I do not know how the change could have happened between my original setup and now, if that was, indeed, the cause.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

Oh well, computers can be weird... :)

Thanks for letting us know how it was resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users