Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with USB question.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FSC-Owner

FSC-Owner

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:23 PM

I got 2 monitors running into a splitter hdmi into a usb 3.0 then I got a Mic running and Webcam and Cordless mouse and external hard drive and probably going to get one more splitter for 2 more monitors so thats another usb 3.0 spot. The question is I need a sub hub to handle all this. Can anyone help me? I am lost on what I should get and is there something that can power all this and maybe more like the monitors want to add on ...... Thank you for your time...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:11 PM

Splitters are not the way to go.  Powered USB hubs will prevent a port burnout as the PC can only supply so much power and when it's exceeded, the port fails.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:47 AM

Maximum power from USB 3.0 port is 4.5 watts (0.9A @ 5V). So if those devices say how much current they want, you can count if current is too high for single USB 3.0 port. Powered USB hub solves problem but still too many devices connected to single USB 3.0 port may also cause problems and/or slowdowns.

Edited by hamluis, 15 November 2017 - 11:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users