Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: computer for professional graphic designer and illustrator

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 humanbeing

humanbeing

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:08 PM

Hi guys!  Thanks in advance for taking the time to give out advice.  Here's what I need:

Laptop or Desktop?

Desktop

My budget for the new computer is:

$1000 for an all in one, or $700-$800 for a desktop.  (Im looking for a 4k screen at least 21".  Theres a 43" TV for $300 on best buy right now, so that's where I'm getting my figures)

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?

Professional daily graphic design and illustration, including painting with a Wacom Cintiq, using very large files in applications such as Photoshop and Illustrator.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

Photoshop, illustrator 

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?

No

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 

A few running at the same time, but I also am often syncing, uploading, and downloading stuff at the same time as working.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?

Yes.  Lots of large TIF files.

Will you be overclocking?

I had to look that up.  Ha, I wish I felt comfortable enough with my computer knowledge to try that.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

USA, East Coast...

How many monitors are you planning to use?

At least 2

Do you need peripherals? OS?

No, and Windows... or mac.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

I am about to start working from home doing freelance now, so obviously won't have access to my fancy work computer.

More notes:

I was just going to get an imac 21" with the 4k screen which best buy had for $1000 (my work had macs), but then I thought that I might be able to get a whole lot more with the same amount of money.... but anyway, that is basically the standard that I'm comparing other computers too.  The problem is, I don't really know what specs are better than which.  And that's what brought me here!

Thanks again!

Edited by humanbeing, 14 November 2017 - 09:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 humanbeing

humanbeing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:27 PM

I guess I'm just looking for a little education on the different specs and what they cost.... considering my budget and needs, what should I look for concerning the processor, ram, graphics card, hard drive... and what about solid state drives??  And how much do each of these things cost, so that I know if a jump in price for a better processor is worth it?  I'm mostly concerned with getting a horrible value for the money I spend :)

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

Specs are no problem but can you build computer yourself or can someone build it for you?

#4 humanbeing

humanbeing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

Hi DrillingMachine... I don't feel comfortable building it myself and don't really know anyone close by that could help me do that.  I have no problem ordering it to be custom built, though.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,481 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

For $800 it's not easy to get custom built PC. Cheapest CPU I would consider cost around $200 alone.

Something like this cost over $1000 because SSD and memory prices are very high now http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Pre-Black-Friday-AMD-Ryzen-3-II/W/425152

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:21 AM

And, since you do not want a system failure to erase your huge pile of important data folders and files, add affordable media and the free version of Macrium Reflect to your shopping list for the making of routine OS and Data full images. I would consider two external hard-drives, each would contain full backups, however, that's me -- you must do what is comfortable for you :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,292 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:01 PM

I would wait a bit before buying, both RAM and GPU prices are a little high right now so it may be best to give it some time.

I would actually start investing at the beginning of the next year, sure you may get lucky on black Friday but who knows what that will bring

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 humanbeing

humanbeing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

thanks guys!  Drilling Machine, yes I was planning on buying a pre-built computer, not having it custom made, because I assumed the latter was more expensive.  Roland, yes I do have an external with my files backed up.  I should get another one.  Madman, unfortunately it is not an option to wait.  I need to buy something this week, really...

#9 humanbeing

humanbeing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:27 PM

what about either of these : http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/compare?ocs=fdcwgam203s,ddccz307b ...

or this:  https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavilion-570-p033w-Desktop-Tower-Intel-Core-i7-7700-16GB-Memory-2-TB-Hard-Drive-Windows-10/782467792?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1797&adid=22222222227104530792&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=219734765448&wl4=pla-409892001807&wl5=9010079&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113506127&wl11=online&wl12=782467792&wl13=&veh=sem  

or this:  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-desktop-intel-core-i5-12gb-memory-128gb-solid-state-drive-1tb-hard-drive-black-silver/5759907.p?skuId=5759907&ref=212&loc=DWA&ksid=55251a75-80b9-49f6-806e-18898118e140&ksprof_id=3&ksaffcode=pg252543&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=CjwKCAiA6K_QBRA8EiwASvtjZV5O52C1ILop37O9PuVrXXh5Y5V4g9vzQ_J5vwQXkGL0Ma3ycR5U4hoCcGsQAvD_BwE

... compared to what i was going to get originally, this:  https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-21-5-imac-with-retina-4k-display-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-silver/6293016.p?skuId=6293016

how important is an i5 vs i6 vs i7, how important is memory, ddr3 vs 4, how important is solid state drive? .. and could i add solid state drive to whatever computer I wanted to?? ...what about graphics card?

lol sorry for such general questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users