Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

autodiscover setup questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 corigins

corigins

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:15 PM

Hello

Nearly 3 years ago I setup a simple SBS 2011 Standard Server for a company who use Exchange as well. Very uncomplicated. At the time, Outlook 2010 and 2013 were the prevailing email clients which meant Exchange initial client configuration was EASY.

Lately however I have noticed because of Outlook 2016, my failure to originally set up an autodiscover file has come back to haunt me. I am therefore attempting to resolve it.

I am following these instructions at the moment:

http://www.thirdtier.net/setting-up-autodiscover-for-sbs-2011/

There is a point where it says "Build the SRV record", I assume in the Public DNS zone. If I submit the following picture to explain, am I pointing to the public zone?

See attached or https://i.imgur.com/FeObkbj.png

Also, please refer to the SRV record generation dialog to the right which I'm not sure about.

Thank you!

Richard

Attached Files

• Attached File  DNS.png   301.4KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:01 PM

You would only need a public SRV record if Exchange needs to be accessible from outside the company network. If the clients aren't on laptops that users travel with, an SRV record on your internal DNS is sufficient.

#3 corigins

corigins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:58 AM

Thank you, would that be the

company.local

DNS zone?

Also do I type in _autodiscover manually, since it is not in the SRV creation dropdown (per picture)?

Edited by corigins, 20 November 2017 - 12:59 AM.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

You would use whatever your AD domain is named. Not sure why it's not an option, but yes, create it manually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users