Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP 4L printer -- grinding noise after replacing toner cartridge

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 anonanon

anonanon

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:42 PM

I have a Hewlett Packard Laserjet 4L printer.  Very reliable printer.  This one was hardly used when I got it about 3 years ago.  I worked on the solenoids, to repair a problem typical of printers this age, soon after I got it.  Since then, no problems, until now.

Last week I replaced the toner cartridge with a remanufactured one.  It didn't seem to fit well. Then the top door didn't close well. And today it stopped printing.  Instead, it makes a high frequency grinding/humming noise.  It does not even attempt to draw any paper.  It will make this noise even if the paper tray is empty.  It sounds like a gear is slipping, maybe.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Roger

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:13 PM

The remanufactured cartridge is NO GOOD.  Return it or toss it but don't use it anymore unless you'd like to spend more time in repair.  Sounds like the gears are not meshing between the printer drive gear and the cartridge gears.

#3 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:55 AM

Thanks.  I forgot to mention that I already set that cartridge aside and went back to the cartridge I'd been using before, which worked fine for 2000 pages.

Unfortunately, the same grinding/humming sound and lack of paper feed occur with the old cartridge now, too.

Any more ideas?

Roger

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

Sounds like there may be something in the cartridge slot no allowing the unit to seat properly.  Grinding??  You may have damaged the gears that mesh between the cartridge and the units drive.  That gear linkage is usually nylon gears and can get torn up if not meshed fully.

#5 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:53 AM

Thanks.  Would I be able to see or feel anything that would be getting in the way?  I can't see or feel anything.  (I haven't taken it apart.)

If the gear were damaged, would I be able to see the damage?  I can't see any problem in the part of the gear that's visible, which is the part that would engage the cartridge.

Roger

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:19 PM

4l cartridges are universal with other printers, they have a guide rail that differs from printer to printer but the main cartridge is the same.   I would think that your cartridge didn't get the correct guide rail installed or the labeled the remanufactured cartridge for the wrong printer.

I don't buy re-manufactured cartridges anymore. first of all you don't know how many times it's been refilled and if all components were changed out with new.  stay away from them.

#7 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:09 PM

Yes, I will be more careful about such cartridges too, though I've never had a problem before and the seller (tonerrefillkits.com) has been good about everything else for the last 10-15 years.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

Usually there is a spring loaded door on the bottom of the cartridge that opens when inserted.  You can open the door with your finger and be able to see the gear.  Don't hold the door open too long or the photo drum maybe over-exposed.  Re-manufactured cartridges don't get the care they should, re-built should mean recoating the photo drum, cleaning the overflow hopper and replacing the toner.  Most places just refill the toner.

#9 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

Usually there is a spring loaded door on the bottom of the cartridge that opens when inserted.  You can open the door with your finger and be able to see the gear.  Don't hold the door open too long or the photo drum maybe over-exposed.  Re-manufactured cartridges don't get the care they should, re-built should mean recoating the photo drum, cleaning the overflow hopper and replacing the toner.  Most places just refill the toner.

rebuilt usually means: new photo drum (never heard of anyone recoating one), empty hopper, replacing toner, replace corona wire if applicable, and replace or reset chip counter if applicable.

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:11 PM

I've dealt with a few of the "re-build" places and found that they seldom replace the photo drum unless it shows signs of "etching".  Many places get corporate accounts because they employ handicapped personnel and "donate" half the money to their charity.  The corona wire usually is part of the printer base and not in the cartridge.  A little canned air to clean it is usually all that's needed unless it gets caked up with extra toner from a bad cartridge.  The immediate area after the corona wire is important, that it is clean too as it has a ground strip(the serated, toothed edge, to dissipate the charge on the paper without disturbing the toner on the page before it gets to the fuzer, the hot rollers. 

#11 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:16 AM

Sorry part of my last post didn't get included for some reason.

My problem is not just with this one cartridge.  I have tried using the previous cartridge, which worked fine for 2000+ pages before I tried the remanufactured one.

Unfortunately, the previous cartridge produces exactly the same problem -- loud grinding/humming, and I think no attempt to feed the paper.  Some problem if the paper tray is empty.

Which brings me back to my questions for mdjnova:

Would I be able to see or feel anything (in the cartridge slot) that would be getting in the way?  I can't see or feel anything.  (I haven't taken it apart.)

If the gear were damaged, would I be able to see the damage?  I can't see any problem in the part of the gear that's visible, which is the part that would engage the cartridge.

Thanks,

Roger

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

Posting the service manual for your reference if you do not have it. Not the best quality as it was scanned.

https://www.feedroller.com/store/Service%20Manual/LASERJET%204L,%204ML,%204P,%204MP%20Service%20Manual.pdf

#13 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:04 AM

It might not be possible to view the gear assembly without removing the side panel.  There is a one way gear within the gear train that has been known to fail.  It allows the gears to turn only one way but when it fails a grinding will result and the start-up initialization routine would be unable to find its starting point, kind of like a "home" position.  Sounds like a skilled tech needed that's familiar with these units.

#14 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 839 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

hp if i remember right used copper bushings to hold rollers in place,  I have in the past had to take off the bushing and give them a good cleaning because they have became dirty and that's what you could be hearing because that bushing is binding up the ability of the rollers to turn.

I was a HP certified repair tech on all the old hp laser printers 2,iii,4, 4l, 5's and much more.

if you comfortable with tearing your printer down to the bones and cleaning bushing and using a touch of lithium grease when you put it back together you'll have a great working printer again.

then again even color laser printers are cheap now and may want to just upgrade.

#15 anonanon

anonanon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

I am comfortable taking it apart, but can you tell me what I'd be looking for in the gears after opening the side panel?  A gear that slips instead of engaging, because it's out of position?  A gear that is worn or damaged so it can engage?  Or so that it locks up?

I doubt the problem is due to something being dirty, since it came on suddenly and right after trying the new cartridge.  Also because this printer has seen very little use over its lifetime (12,000 pages since I got it in like-new condition) (and it looked clean inside the last time I opened it, a year ago), and because the HP 4L I had before, which printed 113,000 pages, never had this kind of problem.

Roger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users