Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Java

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:49 PM

XP Home - SP2 - IE7 Release Candidate 1 - AVG free - Zone Alarm Pro

My original problem was that my wife couldn't download her game sites anymore ( she plays online - no downloaded games ). Primarily Pogo. When a game tries to load I get a message - java not found or not working.

So I went here and tried to follow the info-
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/54692/pogo-games-problems-and-tech-support-faq/

So my problem backs up a step here. I sucessfully uninstalled java - but can't get the latest version to download from java.com - When I try to down load it says "checking configuration" and stops there. It doesn't show up under programs - but it does under add/remove programs. ( I'm not sure if it's really there or not) Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,199 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 08:46 PM

I just looked at the link you posted for BC pogo instructions. The link on that page to Java is not working properly. I get a 404 message. The link I use for downloading Java is:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
The fourth download on that list is for end users. It could be you got a bad download or whatever problem existed before that kept you from downloading the game is still present.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:06 PM

Thank you buddy215 - I will try it first thing in the morning when I'm a little more alert. I'll post back how it turned out - Keith

#4 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:31 PM

The link wouldn't work - when trying to download I got the "cannot display page" message. How can I tell if the java apparently installed is actually working correctly? It says j2se envoroment 5.0 update 6 119 mb.

Even though I get the java error message when trying to play a game online - could it be something else actually? To think back it seems like this problem started back about when I installed IE7 Beta 2

I also noticed I don't get the pop message ( prompt ) asking if I want to allow active-x like I used to.

Thanks - Keith

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,199 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 12:42 PM

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
Try the above link. I use Firefox and I used IE to get the above link.
You are probably right about IE7.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:12 PM

buddy215 - that link was "blocked" also - but I surely appreciate your efforts!

I'm not so sure that there is a problem with the java my computer shows I have. I was looking under the advanced tab in internet options - but ther is so much there I wouldn't dare try anything on my own. Just as an experiment I tried lowering security settings one at a atime just to see if the games would load - but with no success I put all the settings back.

I'll keep checking back here for ideas - Thank you - Keith

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,199 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 01:21 PM

Just Googled "Java for IE7" and the pages are full of people having problems. There is nothing wrong with the links I gave you. Your solution is probably to use another browser besides IE7.

#8 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:06 PM

Wow!!! I Googled that and see what you mean. Maybe I'll try to contact MS tech support and see what they say.

As far as another browser - isn't there some active-x thing required? I know nothing about that so I thought I'd ask. What are some browsers that might support gamesites? I tried using my Opera browser but got the same negative results.

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me figure this problem out. thanks - Keith

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,199 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:28 PM

I would imagine that each game would tell you the requirements as to what browser or minimum computer hardware, etc. I am not a gamer.

Thought you might want this info:

Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 RC1

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 RC1 and restore Internet Explorer 6 when using Windows XP or Windows Server 2003

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Add or Remove Programs.
3. Scroll down to Windows Internet Explorer 7, click it, and then click Change/Remove.

If you cannot find Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Add or Remove Programs, click Start, click Run, type
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe, and then press ENTER.

Note: %windir% is the location of your Windows directory, which can usually be found at C:\Windows. To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.

Edited by buddy215, 24 September 2006 - 02:31 PM.

#10 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 03:03 PM

buddy 215 - I appreciate the info. Let me try to find out if there is a "fix" in IE7. With so many people having problems - there must be an answer somewhere. I would like to keep IE7 for the security enhancements. I'll be checking back. thank you - Keith

#11 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

Well. here's an interesting twist. I uninstalled IE7 and now have IE6 - same problem remains.

I got Zone Alarm Pro about the time this problem started also. ( I'm desperatly grasping at straws now ). Could this possibly have anything to do with it?

MS support said it will send a reply within 3 business days - so I'm waiting for that.

Keith

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,199 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:42 PM

Look in ZA for a script blocking feature. You could shutdown all features of ZA while disconnected from the internet and allow Windows firewall to run and hook back up to the internet and see if you still have the problem. If ZA is the problem just activate one feature at a time to see which one is causing the problem.

#13 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:52 PM

buddy215 - that's it! I turned on the MS firewall then turned off ZA Pro, all the games will load fine now. Tomorrow I will start sorting through ZA to find out what setting needs to be changed. I appreciate you bearing with me through this.

I will post back the exact setting problem in ZA when I find it. Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users