Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint screen lock does not work

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:49 PM

Hi, after locking the screen while my desktop is on I can go straight back onto my computer without having to enter my password. How is possible and how do I resolve this? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:31 PM

You can do this from system settings, under screensaver.

The lock screen password is the same as your log in password, and it is case sensitive so make sure you type in the password accurately

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 auto1571

auto1571
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

Well it turns out that everything was fine after I restarted the PC.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

Thats cool, might have been a glitch of some type.

The cinnamon desktop does have its issues

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:37 AM

Thats cool, might have been a glitch of some type.

The cinnamon desktop does have its issues

Yes indeed, and why I prefer MATE instead. :)

Many of the folks I've initially installed Mint Cinnamon on their computers, especially early model Windows 7/late Vista models, found MATE to be more suitable. Those with newer computers (post SP1 models) has had the best success with Cinnamon, or those that installed a more powerful GPU in desktops. While Cinnamon is indeed a nice looking desktop, does require more resources than MATE, especially on the graphics side. 

Maybe it's just me, have tried Cinnamon several times since release on a separate computer & have always had issues with the DE. MATE, like Xfce, is a breeze to run & upkeep, used by newbies & seasoned pros alike. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,166 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:12 AM

Well the good news is that cinnamon is getting better with each release, lots of bugfixes and stability patches.

I am using 3.6.2 on manjaro linux and it works wonders :D

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:38 AM

I'm going to try Linux Mint 17.3 on another notebook (AMD powered so no discrete with 18.2) & check it out once more. :)

Yes, Linux Mint Cinnamon has came a long way since first introduced in 2012 & continues to with every release, probably why it's now considered the 'drop in' replacement for Windows 7 & newer. While Cinnamon is now available as an add-on to many Linux distros, it was a Mint original in-house distro & will be their featured one for many years to come. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users