Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

malware bytes and adwcleaner will not execute

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tangerine3

tangerine3

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

Hello,

I am having something weird happen my computer was acting kinda buggy and I went to run a scan with Malware Bytes (free). When I right clicked on the icon on my desktop and said scan it just did nothing. Also down in the tray when I selected open it did nothing. Also selecting from all programs it did nothing. I deleted it and went to their official website and downloaded it and reinstalled it and again nothing?? I also downloaded Adwcleaner and when I try to open the .exe file the license agreement flashes really fast but then disappears and then nothing starts to install. I have no idea what is happening. As of right now I don't have either one installed. I did a full scan with Microsoft Security Essentials and it found nothing. But I definitely would like to have Malware Bytes and Adwcleaner on my computer as well. Running Windows 7 and Firefox. Firefox did a critical update earlier and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it. Any help would be appreciated.  I don't know if i have any bugs but I can't even do anything to find out  . . .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,918 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

AdwCleaner is a stand-alone tool which does not require installation.

When you're having issues with Malwarebytes 3.x, one of the solutions generally suggested by the Help Desk to try first is to reinstall or uninstall/reinstall after using mb-clean.exe:If that does not work, then you may be dealing with an infection that targets Malwarebytes and similar security tools to keep them from running. If that is the case, then download and run RKill first. After running RKill, do not reboot your computer...immediately try to run Malwarebytes.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:59 PM

Firefox did a critical update earlier

Based on this and the other symptoms described, you are most likely dealing with the latest variant of Kovter that blocks execution of mbam.exe (which handles the Malwarebytes user interface) along with other security applications. The Mozilla Firefox update you performed was not an official update, but rather a script downloader for Kovter. The file you ran was most likely named either firefox_patch.js or firefox-update.js and downloaded the Kovter malware onto your computer. Kovter uses social engineering to trick users into running the JScript file when landing on a fake Mozilla Firefox update page (typically via malvertising). Mozilla Firefox will never prompt you to download a file in order to update the browser.

In this scenario, you may wish to boot the computer into Safe Mode and execute a Malwarebytes Threat Scan there. Tools such as RKill in Normal Mode will unfortunately be ineffective against Kovter.

To boot into Safe Mode, refer to the relevant instructions linked below:

Once in Safe Mode, you should find you are able to open Malwarebytes normally. Before conducting a Threat Scan, it is recommended to enable the Scan for rootkits setting.

Ky7CZ60.png Malwarebytes Threat Scan with Rootkit Scanning

• Open Malwarebytes.
  • Click the Settings menu followed by the Protection tab.
  • Scroll down to Scan Options and turn the Scan for rootkits setting on.
  • Click the Dashboard menu.
  • Click Scan Now.
  • If threats are detected, ensure all items are FSHHv35.png checked at the end of the scan and click Quarantine Selected.
  • If you are prompted to restart, click Yes.

After Malwarebytes has successfully remediated Kovter, you should be able to open the program in Normal Mode. Failing that, you may wish to consider posting in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum section to receive 1-1 assistance. Be sure to read the Preparation Guide beforehand. It's also worth noting that Kovter will typically block execution of the diagnostic tool (FRST) referenced in the Preparation Guide, so keep that in mind when attempting to run the program.

Posted Image

#4 tangerine3

tangerine3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

ok and yes that is exactly what sounds like happened regarding the firefox supposed update . . .I will try the options above from the two posters should I do both or just one of the suggested methods?  Which one?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,918 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:20 PM

I only said you may be dealing with an infection that targets Malwarebytes and similar security tools to keep them from workling.

LiquidTension identified the infection so follow those instructions...boot into safe mode and perform a Malwarebytes Threat Scan with Rootkit Scanning.

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users