Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MaxDigital SSHDs - Experiences?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

I recently purchased a MaxDigital MD1TBLSSHD and it was delivered today.  See this Amazon page.

When using a USB to SATA cable and external power supply, on one computer it comes up under "Network" as an unknown device and on another it's not registering at all.

I thought I'd solicit opinions as to whether I could be doing anything wrong or if I got a bad drive, which would be a first.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:23 PM

What exactly do you mean its coming up under "Network"(Device manager?) as an unknown device

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

I mean in File Explorer. I'm as perplexed as you are.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

I think I would plug it directly into my computer and see if you get the same result

#5 TyronSmiteApril

TyronSmiteApril

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:35 PM

I think I would plug it directly into my computer and see if you get the same result

haha yeah send it over mightywiz way and he will test it :) Sidenote: My co-worked said the cable could be making the PC present it as a network device?

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

I know, I know!   unplug the network cable and use a sata cable instead.  lol

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

How is the drive listed in Disk Management? If a clean drive I assume you initialized it then created a simple volume formatted NTFS.

With the drive attached open a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

It should be listed.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

The reason for not going the "install it in the machine and see" route is this is one of those miserable laptops that I need to tear down in order to get the thing in and then I have to put it back together, at least most of the way, to test it.  I prefer to know that I've got a functioning device before doing that.

John, the result of diskpart is that the disk is listed, showing 931GB (which is less than I would have expected, but I know that's got to be it).   I had a brain fart and had entirely forgotten that when I have a brand spanking new clean drive that I needed to initialize it and create a simple volume.   It's now initialiized GPT with a quick format to an NTFS volume with the drive letter G:

Now I guess it's time to clone my existing C: drive to G: and do the drive transplant tomorrow.

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:42 PM

John, the result of diskpart is that the disk is listed, showing 931GB (which is less than I would have expected, but I know that's got to be it).

I think that's par for the course for 1 TB drives.  I believe the reason is that hard drive/SSD manufacturers take 1 terabyte to mean 1012 (1,000,000,000,000) bytes.  That equals 931.32 gibibytes.  Windows doesn't use the gibibytes term, but refers to the same number as a gigabyte (GB).

This section of the Wiki article sums up the situation.

The use of gigabyte (GB) to refer to 1000000000 bytes in some contexts and to 1073741824 bytes in others, sometimes in reference to the same device, has led to claims of confusion, controversies, and lawsuits.[4][5][6][7] The IEC created the binary prefixes (kibi, mebi, gibi, etc.) in an attempt to reduce such confusion. They are increasingly used in technical literature and open-source software, and are a component of the International System of Quantities.[8]

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users