Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Epson CX7400 All in One will not scan

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 txstoby

txstoby

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

I have an HP 15 Notebook PC with a Epson CX7400 All in One Printer, Scanner. When I click the icon, I get an error message saying that the scanner can not open and directs me to run a trouble shooter. I open it and it asks questions like make sure the usb is connected and it is.
I deleted the old driver and reinstalled the driver. When I clicked the icon I get the same error message but I do not have another shortcut on my desktop. I do not know where to go next.
Please advise.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 10:51 AM

Have you previously used this printer/scanner successfully?

Have you tried using a different USB port?

Have you tried a different USB cord?

Have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow warnings or red errors showing?

What happens when you run the troubleshooter?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 txstoby

txstoby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:22 AM

Yes i have used the printer/ scanner many times but on this computer, the scanner has never worked.

I have used both ports on the laptop.

I have not used another USB cord, it works fine when printing.

No errors in device manager but the real truth is that the scanner is not shown.

The troubleshooter is useless.  

I think the real problem is that for whatever reason, the program is not installing.  I have uninstalled several times and installed different versions and it never seems to install.  In programs, I see the scanner listed but it has a red X on it.  

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

If this printer works with other computers I would have to assume that you have a driver issue or an improper installation.  There are specific steps taken in the process of installing a printer, these steps will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.  Example, below are the instructions to install a Pantum P2502W printer.

Installation Instructions for the Pantum P2502W Printer (USB)

1. With the printer powered on, connect the USB cable to the printer.
   2. Connect the other end of the USB cable to one of your computer's built-in USB ports.
   3. Insert the CD that came with your printer into the CD drive. ...
   4. A setup screen will appear.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 txstoby

txstoby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

This printer/scanner does work with previous laptops.  It prints fine with this laptop.  But it has never scanned.  This time before I uninstalled the driver, I noticed when I tried to uninstall that the scanner driver had a red X on it.   I uninstalled, deep cleaned, and restarted only to download again and install but once again it does not seem to install properly.  That is where I am at, there seems to be some kind of glitch getting it to either totally download or install.

#6 campuscodi

campuscodi

• Contributing Editor
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:53 PM

This might be related to a Windows update issue. More details here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/663127/microsoft-confirms-windows-update-kb4048957-breaks-epson-dot-matrix-printers/?hl=%2Bepson

Check and see if it is related

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

Another thing to check: In services make sure the Windows Image Acquisition Service is started and set to Automatic.

#8 txstoby

txstoby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:18 PM

Where do I get to services to check and set to automatic?  This scanner has never worked on this laptop, printer yes but never scanned.  

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

Right click Computer > Manage > Services and Applications > Services. 

If the Epson Scanner does not work try VueScan. It's not expensive and you get a demo version with watermark to see if it works for you.

https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/epson_stylus_cx7400.html#technical-information

#10 txstoby

txstoby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:22 AM

Very strange.  I downloaded the driver and then nothing happened as it said there was no printer found.  So I do not know what to do now.

#11 opera

opera

• Members
  • 950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:07 AM

Have you done this?

Verify Epson Scan is not set to Compatibility Mode

https://epson.com/faq/SPT_WIN10-NS~faq-283713

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:47 AM

Very strange.  I downloaded the driver and then nothing happened as it said there was no printer found.  So I do not know what to do now.

This sounds like the same issue that campuscodi cited in post #6. Have you checked if the offending updates have been installed?

Edited by Al1000, 18 November 2017 - 08:47 AM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

This sounds like the same issue that campuscodi cited in post #6. Have you checked if the offending updates have been installed?

I thought this was only for dot-matrix printers. It's been confirmed inkjets are also affected? OP also stated the scanner has never worked on the HP 15 PC.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 November 2017 - 10:46 AM.

#14 txstoby

txstoby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:16 AM

All of my updates have been installed and this is an inkjet printer.  

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

Open Devices and Printers. Click on one of the other devices under Printers, not your Epson printer. You should see the Microsoft XPS printer. Click on it. In the menu bar select Print Server Properties. Under the Driver tab you should see all your epson drivers. If you can access Printer Server Properties uninstall your epson drivers again. After uninstall go back to Print Server Properties, highlight each of your epson drivers and click the remove button. Reinstall the Print driver and Scanner driver.  Don't download the combo driver.

Printer Driver 6.53

Twain and Scanner Utility v3.20

https://epson.com/Support/Printers/All-In-Ones/Epson-Stylus-Series/Epson-Stylus-CX7400/s/SPT_C11C689201?review-filter=Windows+10+64-bit

I believe you should see Print Servers Properties when clicking on Windows XPS printer but I don't have Windows 10 so I can't confirm it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users