Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How To Create Dual Boot ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:50 AM

I have an older windows xp laptop that i use only for traveling, basically just for using at hotels for general websurfing,

occassionally i have been running linux mint on it from a usb stick,

what i would like to do is install linux mint with the windows xp on the hard drive and give the option to boot to either one,

i have nothing on the hard drive that i need, so wiping the drive clean and starting from scratch is not a problem, i have the windows XP and mint install ISO files already and can create bootable usb drives, just not sure how to create the dual boot?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

• 55,006 posts
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

Google Says...

#3 Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,511 posts
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

Easy: http://www.zdnet.com/article/dual-booting-xp-and-linux-its-really-easy/

A bit more complicated explanation: https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-dual-boot-windows-xp-and-ubuntu-linux

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,067 posts
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:35 PM

And if you get stuck, as i did just recently, there is always the Linux section of BC. They are quite friendly there and it is definitely not true that they eat their young.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users